z

Young Writers Society

Whatzitcalled

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:16 am
Trikky says...

I'm writing a story about a Jewish girl who decides to start a convent of all lesbian women, and I'm not certain if that still classifies as a monastery/convent. They live separate from society, abstain from intercourse (from the opposite sex, at least), and devote themselves to study and charitable acts... but they don't necessarily have any shared religious beliefs. Do you think it would be appropriate if they called themselves "The Nuns of ____" or "____ Monastery"?

If not, what do I call them? A colony? Asylum? A commune?
"God is dead." -Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead." -God

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:38 am
Twit says...

Aren't Jewish lesbians kind of contradictory?

Try a thesaurus, but don't call them "The Nuns of _____" It sounds too much like "The Guns of Navarone".

To me it does, anyway. :P
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:41 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Nuns? Nuns are associated with Catholicism.

Judaism = not catholic

not catholic = no nuns.

Also, there are that many lesbian Jews running around that she can make a convent?

--Antigone
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:36 am
Trikky says...

Yeah, I know Jews aren't Catholic, I'm Jewish. xD

It's just that traditionally women aren't expected to participate in services, much less study with the rabbis... they say that they're too "holy", but I think it's really to keep women out of power in the household, the temple, and in the public sector.

So the idea of a Jewish nunnery isn't really literal, but metaphorical? Like, I know they don't exist, but maybe they could? I mean, are Jewish women incapable of living ascetic lives like Catholics without converting to Catholicism? I don't know if you're getting me, but oh well. I'll figure it out without your help. :P

And as to there being enough lesbian Jews... tell that to my cousin Terra and she'll probably rip your head off. Or at least an ear.
"God is dead." -Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead." -God

“I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you.”
— Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince