z

Young Writers Society

Music

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:32 am
Mira says...

I'll just list them and get on my way. I don't want to bother anyone for too long. ^-^

1. How do you care for your instruments (such as cleaning, storing, and fixing... whichever you feel like answering)? Yourself? (This is more important. Do the little cuts change performance? Or other small things?)

2. When you listen to your favorite instrument, how would you describe your feelings?

3. Are you more into classical (violin, piano, flute...) or more other (tuba, trumpet, saxophone...) instruments? If none of those, do you like band instruments (drums, guitar...) more?

4. What color would you see sound as if it were possible to see it?

5. Is there anything else you feel that could be important?

Well, thanks for the help! You don't need to answer every single question, just the ones that you deem worthwhile. :) You are all awesome.

Thanks again!

Smiles!
@;~ Saph

Edit: For the first question, what about taking care of yourself? Is there anything special you have to do so that you can perform your best?
Last edited by Mira on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Smiles make the world go round." ~ Me

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:07 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

1. My violin stays in its case, as well as my other stringed instruments (cello, etc.) I try to keep them in a room temperature environment where they won't go out of tune. Cleaning? Not really for a stringed instrument. I usually wipe off any stray rosin (something you rub onto your bow) with a cloth.
My piano is stored in the living room. To clean it, we dust it once in awhile. :)
How do the little cuts change performance? I'm not sure what you mean by this... but it is very important where you store your instruments. If it's very humid or cold, your instrument is more likely to go out of tune. Rosining your bow is also very important, and older pianos need to have their velvet replaced sometimes (the velvet is under the keys).

2. I suppose I feel at peace, or just enjoyment? Sorry for being vague.

3. I am into basically every kind of music. I love classical, Broadway, punk rock, emo rock... I just love everything about music, even screamo. :)

4. Music wouldn't be simply one color or shape. It would be multi-colored, and constantly shifting and changing. Do you remember that movie Fantasia that animated music? The Toccata and Fugue in D Minor scene really represents the abstractness of music.

5. My pet peeve is when people say how much they love music, but don't play an instrument, or scoff at classical. It's just like, well, you don't understand music at all then. If you can't tell me what a C suspended chord is like, you're a hypocrite.

Hope this helps!

--Antigone
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:19 pm
Twit says...

A C suspended chord? Sure, that's like, like, well, it's a, um...

>_<

1. I wipe it when it gets too spit-filled.
2. Depends on what it's playing. Flutes usually make me feel sad or something else that I can't quite describe. Something like a mix between sad, old, young, happy, miserable and on top of the world. Depends on the piece of music.
3. They vary. Classical can sound really boring at times, yet tremendously alive at others. Same with "band" stuff.
4. Depends on the sound. Thin sounds usually are in cool colours, wider ones warm. Orchestras are like a big canvas filled with mottled, smudged colours that depend on the mood.
5. When people diss classical without trying it, or older songs just because they're old.

I think I said a variation of "it depends" for all of those. ><
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:01 pm
Carlito says...

I play the trombone just to let ya know :D

1. How do you care for your instruments (such as cleaning, storing, and fixing... whichever you feel like answering)? Yourself? (This is more important. Do the little cuts change performance? Or other small things?)
I have three trombones, (all of which are used for different things :)), and every six months my dad helps me clean them and re-lube them. (Technically I think you should do this more often but that's when I do it.)
To clean them you take out the tuning slides and take the slide off, put all of them in the bathtub with a little bit of water in it, and run the trombone cleaner through it, and then dry all the pieces.
Then you have to re-lube the slide and tuning slide so they can move. You put on a thin layer of special tuning slide grease onto the tuning slide (the gold part sticking down and there will be another one attached to the trombone).
Next you do the actual slide. There are several ways to do this, but what I have found works the best is putting a thin layer of cold cream on it and then squirting water all over it, which you have to do pretty much every time you play. Since grease and water don't mix, it make the slide run really well.
To store my trombones they just sit in their cases in my living room. Pretty simple :)
The most common things that need fixed on trombones are dents. Really, they don't make that much of a difference, everyone has them, they don't really matter. However, if they are in the tuning slide or slide, you should get them fixed because it's hard to play and tune with a dent in your slide. I really don't know how they fix this. I just took them to a music repair shop and they came back dent free. :)
You can also spring your slide. I'm not exactly sure how you do this, but what happens is your slide kind of has a bend or bow it it and it's really, really hard to move it. This is a lot more serious to fix.
Little dings or scratches wouldn't change the way it played. If you had a ton[i] of dents in the bell that were really big, it might change the sound a little. The biggest thing that could hurt a performance is a slide that hardly moves or sounds like it's scraping against something when it moves.

2. When you listen to your favorite instrument, how would you describe your feelings?
It makes me feel happy. When they're really good and they hit [i]sweet
notes or the chords sound really cool it puts a smile on my face, it's just makes me really happy.

3. Are you more into classical (violin, piano, flute...) or more other (tuba, trumpet, saxophone...) instruments? If none of those, do you like band instruments (drums, guitar...) more?
I really like jazz, so trumpet, trombone, sax, bass, guitar, drums, and piano :)
The chords are so cool, I love it when the trumpets and soprano saxs scream and when we play cool stuff like Braggin in Brass by Duke Ellington :D

I think it would be rainbow. All these color mixing and changing and evolving with the music.

5. Is there anything else you feel that could important?
Um...Trombones are the greatest instrument known to mankind?

PM me if you have any questions :D
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Reviews: 3
Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:10 pm
Blue Giraffe says...

I'm probably not the best person to ask this question to. I've dropped my clarinet numerous times (both in the case and out of it) and as a result it's missing a piece the size of a quarter in the joint that connects to the bell. I can't really tell if there's a difference between a normal clarinet and mine, although I'm sure a professional might. I think I'm supposed to rinse it with warm water every so often, but because I use the school's one regularly, I haven't washed mine in a while.

When I listen to my favorite instrument, it sounds familiar, like I've heard the music before, even I never have.

Um, I think what I like is called orchestra? Or whatever it's called when all the instruments play together. Yes, I like classical. And yes, I like brass and band as well, but to me music is at its best when all the instruments are working together to make the music.

Am I the only person who would see sound as only one color? I think sound would be a green. String sounds and higher pitched instruments like the flute would be a lighter green, with the flute almost a yellow, and deeper pitched ones like the baritone and the french horn would be a darker green. Ones that sound somewhat in the middle, like the clarinets and trumpets, would be like a grassy green.

I don't know about most people, but I can only play with one size of reed (2 1/2). I tried playing with both a 2 and a 3, but I sound odd with them. I'm sure if I had to I could, but...*shrugs*. Also, band geeks ftw.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:36 pm
VivelaMusique says...

Flute: Not much. After playing I run my cleaning cloth through several times and wipe off the mouth piece. Every once in awhile I get out my polishing cloth and run it over the entire thing.

Clarinet: Also, not much. I use a cleaning cloth on it as well. And I use cork grease almost every time I play because my mouthpiece doesn't quite fit. :)

Also: Blue Giraffe mentioned that she rinses her clarinet with water. Bad. Bad, bad, bad. If the pads on a clarinet (or flute, saxophone, oboe or any other wind instrument) get wet, they can fall out which pretty effectively puts the instrument out of commission until you get the pads replaced. That's part of the reason you don't take instruments outside too often.

Trumpet: I oil the valves as often as needed. Meaning quite often, almost every time I play. And maybe every six months I give it a bath. (I take out the slides/keys and wash the body of the trumpet with water and let it soak.)

Other: I don't own any wooden instruments, but several people I know do and they take a lot more care. When an instrument is wooden it must be kept between certain temperatures or else the wood can crack and destroy it, so lots of musicians keep them in special rooms with heaters or in rooms that stay cool. In my town there was a power outage for about a week and some people in my band were scrambling to find places that still had heat to bring their instruments. Also there are things that you can put in wooden instruments (stringed ones included) that absorb any moisture that might get in the wood.

Myself: I don't eat before I play. Food can get inside of the instrument and mixed with spit and the moisture inside the instrument...ugh. I'm sure you get the picture. Otherwise I don't do much.

Content. Listening to your favorite is much more satisfying then any other.

A mix of the first two. Depends on what kind of music they're playing.

Eh....to be honest, I have no idea. Sorry!

I'd like to point out that when you're a musician and you meet another musician you almost automatically have a bond. It's strange, but true. It serves as a middle ground where you both appreciate talent and dedication in the same way, even when you don't like the same type of music.

If you have any other questions let me know!
"Why kill time when you can kill yourself?"
-Voltaire

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:31 pm
sadbhp says...

I love all music. it just makes me happy playing instruments, singing or listening to any music. If i saw it as a colour it would be multicoulered. All types of music are different colours to me. jazz is ice blue, classical is deep red, pop is shocking pink. I just simply love music.

HOpe this helped. sadbhp :D

I think Amelia Earhart wants you to get some ice cream.
— SilverNight