z

Young Writers Society

Accents :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:20 am
BowserMarzenai says...

Mira,

Your book sounds awesome! Your characters are definitely tackling a huge project, but the great thing about fiction is that anything's possible and doable!

Anyway, onto the accents. I spend a lot of my free time studying and inventing languages. One of the things I've learned about writing accents is that it's not just the spelling or the sounds of the languages that make the accent come to life. It's also the syntax--the way the words are arranged. If you have someone who speaks a different language or a different dialect of English, then he's probably going to incorporate some elements of his native language into English.

For example (and this isn't the best one), if you have a character from the Southern U.S., then you might hear him say "How about yourself" instead of "How about you?" Little differences like these take time and observation, but they can make all the difference.

Best of luck with the accents! I'll say it again--your book sounds awesome!

~ Bowser Marzenai
What we know, we may choose to care for. What we fail to recognize, we certainly won't.

-- Berry Lopez

Daddy Long Legs are more closely related to crabs than spiders and somehow the idea of crablike creatures with spider legs that have escaped the entrappings of the primordial sea and now crawl over land and can walk up and down walls and ceilings creeps me more than I can adequately describe.
— Snoink