z

Young Writers Society

Old un-often used vampire legend help.. .

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:23 pm
Tabithalillian says...

I made the mistake of telling my english teacher that I would be interested in learning about vlad the impailer or other vampire myths so does any one have any helpful url's or knollage about vampires?
Living in a tower

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:04 pm
Fishr says...

Have you tried at least Googling about Ol' Vlad? You might also try overshadowing Bram Stoker's novel Dracula as his main character - Dracul's character was loosly based off Vlad III (the Impaler).
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:13 pm
Kaylyn says...

He was cruel, very cruel. Have you read The Historian by Kostova? It is mainly about his history, but intermingled with the main story. It's really great. Big book though.
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Cobra says...

Other myths? I know one. Vampires were originally called hostages, and they were seen as reanimated corpses that were stronger and faster than humans. They didn't rot but they were bloated by gases.

Also, Vlad the Impaler was an enemy of the Turks. He impaled over 20,000 of them on stakes and scared away the Turkish army. Once, he invited all the poor people and homeless people to a castle, and asked them; "Would you like to be without care, lacking nothing in the world?" Then when they said yes, he boarded up the castle and set fire to it. His laws were harsh - people could be boiled alive for stealing an apple - and to prove how well his laws worked he left a gold cup on a plinth in the centre of town. It was never stolen. His wife liked to bathe in the blood of virgins to keep her young. He was finally defeated and executed by the Turks. Hope this helps!
(If you need any help on more gruesome stuff, history or otherwise, PM me. I know quite a lot about anything morbid.)
The corpses are piled high around. Blood carpets the floor and flames scorch away the last remnants of humanity. The screams of the damned echo in my head. I smile. I am home.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:05 am
J_Fang says...

I'll do my best to dig up the links I've found over the years and I'll hit my roommate up for any info (he's a retardedly huge vampire fanatic).

Here's a snippet of what I know off the top of my head, or at least am fairly certain I remember:

Bram Stoker's Dracula:

Dracula (based on Vlad Dracul or Vlad Tepesh as already stated by others) was actually a mix of the most popular vampire legends/myths through the world at the time.

The Romanians have a very detailed and elaborate view of vampires/half vampires/etc...
From what I can remember there are the Striogi, Moroi, and several others...Each type of vampire is created due to certain circumstances surrounding death, birth, blood line, sex and various other factors, as well as combinations of some.
There's even a vampire that runs around and flings poo at people (no I'm not kidding).

The Chinese vampires are more or less people that died with a severe unbalance of chi where they had more po in life than (forgot the word for good chi). They revive at sundown to terrorize the neighborhood's raping, murdering and causing all around havoc.

The Italians called vampires bag eaters. Due to the bacteria in the mouth decaying the sacks placed over the heads of the dead when mass graves were exhumed they would often see an exposed face of someone that had been bagged where the bag had been eaten away. The blood seeping from their mouths would lead them to believe that they had dug themselves out in the night and fed on fresh blood.
They shoved bricks into the mouths of the vampires as a way to keep them from eating the bag and to keep them from feeding. There is also a thing that was done with iron needles, although I can't recall exactly what it was.

Of course you know about modern vampires (there's like 50000000000000 different interpretations, from Buffy Vamps to walking sparklers).

But really if you want to learn about vampires, the easiest thing is to just pick a country of origin and type "XX vampire" on google search. "Romanian Vampires".

You'll find an enormous amount of information, some of it (most of it) of course has gone through the multiple friend filter, however, that's legends in general.

I can't say exactly how useful this site is or how accurate, but I pulled it up real fast trying to recall the names of different Romanian vampires http://vampires.monstrous.com/index.htm.

And of course the majority of anything you find on the Internet on Vlad is going to be wildly inaccurate and sometimes just down right silly, but he's a living legend (living as in the sense of ever evolving).
The key points are that he had a brother who betrayed him (several times), he is viewed as a national hero in Romania (work with a guy from Romania and is absolutely in love with Vlad), he employed impalement as a form of torture and as a scare tactic, he is believed to have dipped his dinner rolls in fresh blood (not sure if it was human or animal--animal blood is a delicacy in many countries), he also was known to eat amongst his forest of the impaled while watching his own impalement theatre (not actual theatre mind you, just his men impaling people) and it is also said that he was quite ruthless and cruel.
(EDIT: He was also known to have a healthy appetite for--eh--women. Due in part from the long term imprisonment suffered at the hands of the Turks and the Turks ruler having an "appetite" for young boys, which his brother "wanting to say his name was Radu" fell victim to.)

Vlad's death is a mystery. Many people/sites say that he died on the battlefield with the Turks, others say he was stabbed to death by his brother at varying times, one said his son killed him and yet another said that he was captured, tortured and beheaded by the Turks where his head was kicked into a river during a game of kickball where they used his head in place of a ball.

It is believed that his bones were buried under the steps of a church and upon exhumation the bones found were animal bones.

That's all I can come up with at the moment, but its well past time for me to get to bed. Like I said I'll ask my roommate and surf around the net and find all the old sites I went to and get back to you with extra goodies.

(one last note: Vlad was known to sign his name Draculea to help differentiate him from his father, 'I believe that was the reason'. Everyone wants to get out of their predecessor's shadow I guess.)

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:09 pm
gsppcrocks10 says...

Well, I watched a documentary about him... Not a nice dude I'm telling you! From what I remember, he was a prince, but when he took over he began impaling people and (this is the gross part) drinking their blood. For more info go here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_impaler
Just another quack spouting psychobabble.

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose, then I'm mad. That's the way history is written."

sometimes i don't consider myself a poet but then i remember that i literally write poetry
— chikara