z

Young Writers Society

How could a character accidentally kill someone?

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:03 am
View Likes
Nymeria says...

I’m going to attempt rewriting Hamlet in a modern YA style because I could not for the life of me find one that already exists and it needs to exist.

You know that part where Hamlet stabs Polonius through a curtain thinking it’s Claudius? I’m really struggling with how to get that done in a modern setting. They’re in a palace and there’s tons of people around. I don’t really want to involve guns. I also wan to avoid the accidental poisoning situation because that happens in the end.

So if anyone has any ideas— let me know how you think Hamlet could accidentally kill Polonius.

Thanks!
“You do know you could find yourselves charged with being a dominant species while under the influence of impulse-driven consumerism, don’t you?”
- Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:08 am
View Likes
Hattable says...

Knives are still a thing, so I'm curious why you don't just go with the original version for that scene; stab through the curtain. Outside of that or a gun I'm not sure what else would really work without seeming a bit ridiculous. Maybe instead of stabbing through the curtain, Hamlet just bonks whoever's behind it on the head with, like, a lamp or something? I guess it'd have to be a pretty hard bonk to kill the dude, though.

Or!! Make your modern Hamlet a neckbeard and he uses his decorative katana to take out the sneak. (Just kidding)

Hopefully someone else graces this thread with better ideas, but yeah, I don't see any issue with using a good old knife like the original!
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:54 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...

This project sounds amazing! I'm intrigued about what your other ideas are for updating the rest of the scenes.

Is this modern YA Hamlet character still hell-bent on avenging his father through murder? This is just an idea, but it may make more sense in a modern setting for Hamlet to only try and put Claudius in prison. If that were true, maybe Hamlet is trying to destroy Claudius' reputation in this scene but instead destroys Polonius' and he loses his job or something.

I'm not saying that there aren't murders in YA books. I just think that adapting this particular scene to this genre might mean more than just updating the weapon, ya feel? It may mean completely changing how Hamlet seeks revenge. If he's a likeable, stand-up citizen Hamlet in today's world, it seems less likely to me that he'd go for the killing route, unless it's self defense. On the other hand, if you're going with the mentally unstable and stab-happy Hamlet, then I think keeping the knife would definitely be fine, as Hatt said.
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:05 pm
View Likes
Nymeria says...

Thanks guys! I’m thinking that not EVERYONE has to die, like you said Wolficial. But I think I do need Polonius to die because his death is what drives Ophelia over the edge. My current idea is to have Ophelia get so wrapped up in proving Claudius is guilty (Shes friends with Hamlet and Horatio, so she’s in on the whole ghost thing), that she goes a little crazy and Claudius finds out that she’s onto him and tries to have her killed (which I think won’t be successful. She’ll probably just be put in the hospital).

I suppose Polonius could just be put in a coma or otherwise put out of commission. And it doesn’t need to be while he’s trying to kill Claudius, because yeah, most modern young people aren’t going to pick murder, but Polonius’ death DOES need to be a consequence of Hamlet’s rash actions in trying to get to his uncle.

Also— because it’s modern, Hamlets family is still the royal family, but in the way that the English royal family operates. Very limited political power, but still very influential on the people. Polonius is going to be the prime minister, who Claudius is friends with and tries to manipulate into doing what he wants. And they live in the same palace or area or whatever, for ease of storytelling.

There’s so much to think about!
“You do know you could find yourselves charged with being a dominant species while under the influence of impulse-driven consumerism, don’t you?”
- Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:30 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

@Nymeria - cool idea!!

Could Hamlet plan on spiking Claudius's drink to catch him in a lie, and instead of Claudius Polonius drinks it and he has an unknown heart condition or similar that interacts with the spiking and it causes him to arrest and die?

Alternatively, could Hamlet grab him in anger, put a hand to his neck and unknowingly dislodge a clot in the carotid artery and cause Polonius to have a huge and devastating stroke (potentially fatal)? Even if not necessarily Hamlet's fault Ophelia would still blame him...

The same goes for something simpler like Hamlet giving him a big shock and Polonius having a heart attack.

Alternatively could you move the setting to outside in a car park etc and Hamlet intends on catching his mother with her lover and spooking them by charging them in the car with the lights on, and hits a hidden Polonius in the dark instead?
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:26 pm
View Likes
Hattable says...

@StellaThomas - heck those are some good ideas too. Also thanks for making me scared to ever touch my neck again ever

@Nymeria - The coma idea is pretty enticing as well, if you go the route of avoiding murder. Something about comas feels a little more,, tragic? (not the right word) than death, in fiction at least. Sometimes. Personally. Maybe it's just a desensitization to death in fiction (or in general?)
As for how to go about causing a coma, should you choose that route, may I reintroduce the bonk-- no, jk. Stella's car park idea seems like it could work for either death or coma. I'm slowly realizing that I don't know realistic ways to cause comas, hm,,

But yes basically the car park and unseen Polonius is my favorite idea thus far but that's just me- I'm growing more intrigued by this idea as the thread progresses!
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:52 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I don't have any ideas to add, but I just wanted to pop into this thread quickly and say how much I love your idea for a modern Hamlet retelling, @Nymeria! I'd love to read it if/when you post it on YWS. <3
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
— Miles Kington