z

Young Writers Society

Tips for writing an LGBT character?

Reviews: 0
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:25 am
View Likes
IacanusNegraeus says...

So I'm writing a short story for pride month, about two very different men who fall in love while vacationing on an island (although there is a major twist at the end, and it turns out that the island is actually not what it appears), and I was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to accurately depict homosexual characters. I've written gay characters before with little trouble, but their sexualities were not inherently important to the story. However, this one specifically focuses on the bond that they forge, and how it affects each of them emotionally, both during the time they are "vacationing" (again, it's not just any island) and after.

Any advice?

EDIT: before anyone asks, the island is NOT San Junipero :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:57 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Hi Iacanus! I don't know if you still need help with this or if you already wrote the story/found other resources, but I wanted to point you toward some articles in our Knowledge Base on writing LGBT characters!

Overview of Queer Identities: Part 1
This article gives an overview of terms surrounding gender and sex.
Overview of Queer Identities: Part 2
This article gives an overview of common sexual and romantic identities.
Overview of Queer Identities: Part 3
This article gives an overview of acronyms and other terms used in the queer community.
An Inordinately Long Article on Writing Sexual Orientation
True to its name, this article is very long, but it gives you seven basic tips for writing queer characters:

1. Write them as people.
    2. Remember that queer people are more than just the cis white gay men and cis white butch lesbians that are the main characters portrayed in most mainstream media.
    3. Remember that queer people are more than just flamboyant men and butch women.
    4. Do lots of additional research if your character is genderqueer in addition to having a queer sexual orientation.
    5. Remember there are sexualities beyond "gay" and "straight."
    6. Remember that some people are asexual and/or aromantice.
    7. Remember that white queer people are not the only queer people and that some ethnicities and cultures have their own specific language surrounding queer people.

(It does sound like you plan on two gay men, so some of these may not be super relevant, but keep them in mind!)

In general, if their identity is important to the story, I'd recommend writing them as people first and foremost but making sure you're aware of the lived experiences of gay men in particular. What kinds of biases might these men have faced in their life? What biases do they face daily? Were they raised by families who accepted them for who they are or not? How do their experiences inform their budding relationship? How does their budding relationship affect their attitudes toward their own sexuality?

Also, if you ID as straight, it's usually better to give your queer characters HEAs - "bury your gays" and queer suffering are common tropes that have been used by straight creators throughout history for various reasons, and queer readers are ready for some joyful queer characters, queer characters who get a happily ever after (and live), and queer characters whose suffering isn't based on their sexuality. That said, people's sexuality can evolve or be explored throughout their lifetime, and sometimes this happens through writing! And some queer creators may not feel comfortable or safe coming out. So this isn't an end-all/be-all recommendation - just keep in mind that queer characters throughout history have been killed off or suffered because of their identity, so joyful queer rep is much appreciated!

The Twelve Makeovers of Haircules is the stuff of legend. He defeated the Erymanthian Beard. One could say it was a hair raising adventure.
— KateHardy