z

Young Writers Society

Sci-fi transport

Reviews: 3
Tue May 19, 2020 3:38 am
Jillian275 says...

So, I'm new here, but I've written a lot of stories. I just have an idea for a sci-fi transportation system on a Mars-like planet, and would like some opinions on it.
The planet is a low-gravity planet, with an atmosphere that has oxygen, but very little (just some quick background).
All right. The system resembles a train, but without wheels. Instead, it uses the forces of repelling magnets (the weight of the train keeps it from going up too high) to keep the train aloft. There are attracting magnets in between two lines of repelling magnets to make sure that the train stays on the tracks. These trains are pulled forward by switching the repelling magnets to attracting ones, and then switching them off, like a slingshot. A length of the train later, another attracting magnet switches on, pulling it farther forward. And so on and so on.
That didn't actually make much sense, but if you can figure it out, I'd like your thoughts.

Reviews: 3
Thu May 28, 2020 5:15 am
Jillian275 says...

That's what I thought. It didn't make sense to me either

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu May 28, 2020 9:58 am
Tenyo says...

It makes sense. In fact, I'm pretty sure it already exists.

Magnet trains work by using multiple sets of magnets. Fixed magnets at the sides of the track push the train up and keep it centralised, and then alternating panels of magnets underneath propel it forward.

With current world records one of these would get you around the circumference of Mars in about 36 hours.
We were born to be amazing.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Fri May 29, 2020 11:22 am
kattee says...

Tenyo's right. They already exist. They're called magnetic-levitation trains that are found in germany and japan
If you want some sweet reviews to your poems, short stories, and essays, come by Katteelogue.

Have a lovely day❤️

Act in the valley so that you need not fear those who stand on the hill.
— Danish proverb