z

Young Writers Society

Calling Korean-Americans!

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:35 pm
FruityBickel says...

Okay, so basically the same premise as my Mexican American character, only you know, Korean.

Ethan immigrated to the States from South Korea when he was twenty, after his parents died. He likes to practice Korean traditions and make traditional Korean dishes, neither which I have any ideas about.

In order to be realistic, I figured I'd reach out to actual Korean-Americans and learn about their experiences on top of doing clinical research.

Thanks in advance.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:38 pm
Lava says...

I don't have Korean ethnicity or identity but I think one thing to clarify is whether your character identifies as Korean or Korean-American (in terms of where they grew up etc). This will change a lot of the ways they might react to different situations. This distinction will help design the way your character responds to cultural practices, language and experiences as an immigrant into whichever town your character finds themselves in.
Another thing to understand is getting a sense for how they came to the US, which will also affect the way this character interacts with the society.
Also to help frame you character's journey is the time into which they entered the US> Someone who moved in '70s might have a very different view than one in the 2020's.

I work in general biology/medical research if you have q's about that.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

I exist as I am, that is enough
— Walt Whitman