z

Young Writers Society

Recognizing Voices in Recordings

Do you recognize the voices of people you know in recordings?

Always
15%
Sometimes
85%
Rarely
No votes
Never
No votes
Unsure
No votes

Total votes : 13

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:27 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Do you recognize the voices of people you know in recordings?

I'm trying to plan out a scene in my podcast where one of the protagonists hears a recording made by someone she knows, but she's not supposed to realize that it was her friend who made the recording until another event happens. I need to figure out if I have to distort his voice or not.

Please pick one of the options, and let me know if you have anything you'd like to add onto your response!

Thank you so much in advance!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:42 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

I'm usually able to figure it out. Like, once me and my friend did this game thing like we record people's voices - like people we know - and then we listen to all of them and guess who was who. I got all of them right. So I guess, yeah.

And then when my mom gives me her phone in the middle of when she's calling her brother/sister, and she doesn't tell me who it is, I always know who it is when they talk.

So yeah. I can def recognize the voices.

I hope my answer helped! :D
*insert quirky signature here*

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:00 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

If the recording was low quality it might be much harder to recognise a voice (which almost creates its own distortion). In the past when friends have called me up on the phone for the first time I haven’t recognised their voice until they tell me who they are (because phone sound quality is pretty average). So I would say it could be possible if the character has never heard her friend’s voice recorded before! That being said, distorting the voice somehow would make sure of it. Or maybe the protagonist listens to the voice in a noisey environment which makes it difficult to discern anyway? It depends what works ^^

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.
— Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest