z

Young Writers Society

Recommend books to my introverted vampire girl?

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:25 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

So I'm trying to flesh out this character a little better by working out what some of her favourite books are, and I haven't read all the books, so I was hoping I could get some recommendations of books that might have spoken to her from people who've read more than me.

Any books that come to you are okay, but a focus on public domain books that I can safely reference in my own work would be preferred.

She's around fifteen or sixteen, she reminds me most of Hermione or Mio from K-on, she's shy and sweet, a good kid, but if you get to know her she's also a kind of snobby and pretentious sort of lit-kid. The kind that only wants to be seen with classic-looking novels. She still reads kids' classics like The Wizard of Oz and Treasure Island, but they are still kid's books, so those stay at home.
(She'd still read some modern, non-public domain books, but those are copyrighted soooo)

She's a vampire in a modern-day setting where vampires are a minority who are hunted down by the government if they're found out, so this makes her afraid of making friends and getting close to people, which is part of why she leans into literature so much.

She avoids reading books that feature vampires, but she's most likely to identify with characters who have to hide something else that's intrinsic to their identity for the safety of themselves and their family, especially if they're afraid of having friends for that reason. Not everything she reads has to have this, but some of the ones that stick with her the most do.

More clues as to what she likes/might like-

As a kid she probably liked things like Narnia and the Song of the Lioness series.

She likes The Merchant of Venice, and will fight me to let her quote Shylock.
She prolly likes other Shakespeare plays, mainly the romantic comedies, but also some of the tradegies. She's a kid at heart who just wants romance, friendship and adventure, but she def has a penchant for morbidity that is partly just teen edginess, but is also legit.

I don't know what you read when you're an edgy teenager, but you're too snobby for actual edgy YA, but let's throw in some of that

as she goes from a preteen to a teen, she's prolly willing to move on from fantasy adventure to more sober dramas with less punchable problems and more relationship/social slice of life problems

That's all I can think of for now, and thank you very much for reading! I'm very grateful. >.< <3
Last edited by SirenCymbaline on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:29 am
agronaa says...

I'd suggest maybe some wilde? not really a book, per se, but often involves a lot of secrets and misunderstandings that are eventually worked out without too much tragedy.

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:58 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

Late answer, but this caught my eye right now. For someone who's a teenager and likes grittier books/themes/not-supernaturally-linked, I would say that she could probably scope out stuff like Alice in Wonderland stories, or Sherlock Holmes collections, as there're certainly some mysteries/identity-details that happen in these books.

In addition, I think that A Picture of Dorian Gray would be an interesting read for her, while probably reading some form of sentimental novels: perhaps Jane Austen, or Henry James, which feature female leads and romance-heavy plot lines.

H. G. Wells could be a recommendation, or perhaps Little Women? Some classics are definitely in the public domain.

Good luck with this project!
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting.
— John Green