z

Young Writers Society

Personification of Death

If death was personified, what would it look like?

the grim reaper
26%
an angel
7%
god/a death god
7%
a beautiful woman
No votes
a handsome man
26%
nothingness
11%
other (please specify what)
22%

Total votes : 27

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:36 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Before I get to work on the third draft of my currently unnamed novel, I need to get a quick question answered - I need to know how most people would imagine death if death was a person. I'd appreciate if you explained why you picked the choice that you did, but it's honestly up to you! I just want to get a general idea of what I should use in my novel.

Thank you so much in advance!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:06 pm
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

I kind of like Supernatural's version of Death. XD

Spoiler! :
phpBB [media]

I really like the idea of a somewhat unassuming looking old man being the personification of death. It just really appeals to me for some reason. ^^
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:16 pm
View Likes
Feltrix says...

I've always imagined death as being well dressed, businesslike, and generically handsome. Not someone divine or evil, sort of just a person doing his (I usually imagine death as a he) job.
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Harbinger of the Cosmic Squid
Brief Castaway
Founder of Hermits United
TIME Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:32 pm
View Likes
Atticus says...

Personally, in a literary sense, I would imagine death as the Grim Repear, or a dark shadow looming over someone's head until it's time for him to collect their souls and retreat into his shadowy dwelling. Realistically, I imagine that death looks different to everybody based on religious beliefs, opinions about death, life situation, past experiences, etc.
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:51 pm
View Likes
TheWeirdoFromBeyond says...

I think death reminds me of nothingness, because they(person who dies) can't really do anything. (In afterlife) Maybe they can still see everyone else's life, but they can't effect it. And they don't truly be nothing unless they stop effecting other's life.
Even till a few days after death, they technically are still effecting someone, someone who is upset about their death. But eventually, everyone has to let go, so yeah, I chose nothingness.
I don't act this way to change the world, I act this way so that the goddamn world won't change me!
-Desert Hearts
You don't think I am weird? You don't know me at all.
-TheWeirdoFromBeyond

TheWeirdoFromBeyond is a LGBT+ supporter

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:36 pm
View Likes
Starve says...

Death reminds me of nothingness tbh but also kind of a Boltzmann brain .
The one, highly improbable Boltzmann brain ever formed in the Universe's lifetime.
The highly improbable nature of its formation allowing it to reduce to nothingness that which tries to create order from chaos (i.e. low entropy systems), i.e. life.
It feels like life (and sentient life) might end up making more of it, more of those with the power to mock physics. But it doesn't end all life at once because it would have
no self-imposed purpose anymore?
idk if this makes the teensiest sense
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boltzmann_brain

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:00 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

I'm sending you a link to the image that is my favorite personification of death to date because it is so not PG-13, but it is gorgeous.

And I suppose it falls under Other.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

558 Reviews

Reviews: 558
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:35 pm
View Likes
erilea says...

Rhysand. High Lord of the Night Court. Night Triumphant. Death Incarnate. Need I say anything more? XD

LOL but he is a handsome male so I find it hard to choooose

Norse mythology has death personified as Hela, which I think both Rick Riordan and Thor: Ragnarok did an excellent job of depicting. Thor: Ragnarok is a good source if you're looking for something visual.
Was *wisegirl22*Artemis28*Lupa22*

focus on... enjoying happy moments

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:02 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Thanks for the responses, @ScarlettFire, @Feltrix, @MJTucker, @TheWeirdoFromBeyond, @Traves, @Kale and @erilea! I really appreciate it. I probably should have explained the purpose of the poll earlier, but I wanted to see how people replied to it without having any context first.

There's a certain magical item in my novel that, when worn, makes the wearer appear like the viewer's version of death. In previous drafts, I had three characters all see death the same way, and I wanted to see if that was realistic based on the responses I got with this poll.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:58 pm
View Likes
Blues says...

I picked handsome man -- but personally speaking, anything mildly "different" to the grip reaper would definitely intrigue me as it'd be totally different to what I'd imagine normally anyway :P

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:38 pm
View Likes
Evander says...

Oh! I deal with the personification of Death in the novel that I'm currently writing!

Right now, in my current draft, I have Death primarily presenting as feminine, but how she tends to present varies from situation to situation. When dealing with my protagonist (a teenage girl), she'll shift her form to resemble a teenage girl. When dealing with less favorable types, she increases the scare factor and shifts her form into something more eldritch and skeletal.

Primarily, she's just a woman of nebulous age? She's not necessarily beautiful, just practical. She has a job that she needs to get done.
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:40 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I thought about responding to this earlier but couldn't think of a response. Now that I see you're questioning how to portray Death - how cool!

My perspective on death is probably quite different to a lot of people (Purely because I see disease and dying on a regular basis). To me, death is a truly peaceful ending to a chaotic and often painful life on earth. I don't mean that in a negative way, because life is beautiful. But I think that at the end, for instance, of a long illness which has caused you pain and suffering, which is true for most people these days who die, death is a welcome and lovely thing.

As such, I see it as an almost maternal body, friendly, warm, welcoming you home to rest. Or maybe paternal. But comforting.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Beware of advice—even this.
— Carl Sandburg