z

Young Writers Society

Natural metal

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:06 am
TinkerTwaggy says...

Hello, yello, people! Tortwag here, got a specific question for... Whoever can answer, really. So! I'll start right away!

It's related to my LMS project, Brace For Warfare. That project has a race of human beings - known as Humanoids, because simple enough - are naturally able to equip themselves with metallic tools and all manners of robot-parts. Well, not being well-versed in Sci-Fi enough, I wondered if any of you fine folks had any reference regarding the use of symbiosis with semi-sentient organo-metal. I'll specify!

As far as I've been told, it's metal that responds to organic stimuli. So, for comparison, it's like crystals that supposedly synchronise with human vibrations, or crystals that respond to humans in ways they won't respond any other way. the metal sort of has a mind of its own, but it's incorporated into the Humanoid to be as part of them as their own cells. (So, think Dr.Octopus from Spider-Man)
Spoiler! :

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Fiction aside, there's also two real life examples that are pretty close to what I'm looking for: mitochondria, and THE HUMAN BODY.

For mitochondria, They have their own DNA because they used to be a specific kind of purple non-sulphur bacteria that was absorbed by larger cells. The point is, we need them to live, and they need us to live, but they aren't us, and we're not them. You can also find that kind of behavior in parasites that need a host, to live, and the host using the parasites to survive better, with the two growing together. Same for the bacteria and us: They need us to live and we need them to live, but they're their own things. Unlike mitochondria, however, they don't live inside of us.

I'm looking for something similar for the metal parts, but I'm not sure how to have them grow alongside the organic hosts, since it's... well, metal. I have no idea how I can make it so that they grow alongside the host, because I don't have any specific info on how organo-metal would be able to do that.

Sooo... Help? :smt003
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

We all share half a braincell that bounces like a windows screensaver
— WeepingWisteria