z

Young Writers Society

Portraying the events at the same time

Reviews: 1
Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:44 am
Barcodes says...

Just like what the title says, how can I portray that the series of events are happening at the same time? Because most of my scenes are like that but sometimes I tend to overboard and may be shock the reader but I always put a white blank space to indicate the shift of the scene.

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:50 am
keystrings says...

A strategy I've seen a lot is by labeling the time and maybe the date as well at the start of every chapter. If you like to switch the views/perspectives, then you could add the times at the start of every section, like you said you indicated with a "white blank space." That way, your readers can go back and forth between pages, see the same time, and then realize that the scenes may be from different views or characters, but they're still happening at the same time. I hope that makes sense!
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:25 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

To start with, the term you're looking for is parallel plots and with that term in mind, there's a lot of information on the Internet. Whether the bits and pieces are accurate or not, that's up to you. But the best thing to refer to when talking about just structuring parallel plots is to look at the explanation graphics.

I just wanted to tell you about that part because then you have to use that to introduce the parts.

A blank space is good but @killeham's time marking suggestion is great. If you don't feel like trying that out in the chapters because it might distract in some way, there's a couple of different similar cues that you can use. These are the type that I've seen mainly in cinema but in novels, the effect should carry over similarly.

"While this happened on one side of the town/city/country/world, Character 2 was working on their own thing."

After you finish the bit with Character 1, the perspective shifts to Character 2 and there just needs to be a quick go between, besides the blank space.

I have some more things I could dig up but this is all I could type on mobile.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein