z

Young Writers Society

Sign Language in Fiction

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:24 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

How do you handle it? What are some good resources for how to handle it? (Or, if you have any more specific questions, ask them here!)
stay off the faerie paths

Reviews: 1
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:27 pm
View Likes
Barcodes says...

One of my Main Character is mute but not entirely mute; she can speak but it hurts her vocal cords and she can barely show any emotion. Instead, she draws and writes what she wants to portray in her sketch pad.

In your case, I think you should explain the meaning behind those hand gestures. Sorry, this is all I can offer help. I'm not a pro.

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:43 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

I’ve read a few things on characters being either mute or learning sign language of their own accord. I’ve always wanted to write different types of characters, but I don’t want to be stereotypical or anything, so I’ve avoided doing that.

A few sources I’ve found that seem to be pretty informative are this one and this one. They’re both from authors (I’m pretty sure) and give a lot of information on how to develop characters past just being mute or deaf, for example.

A few questions I have are how likely is it that a mute/deaf/non-speaking character would know sign language? Would most families have access to those resources, or is it a sign of wealth, and such? In addition, how difficult is it to learn sign language, and whichever form, whether it’s ASL or BSL, or any other form.

Thanks for the creation of this thread! I hope I can learn more about how to correctly write sign language and such.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:51 am
View Likes
Rook says...

Hey! I've been studying ASL and Deaf culture in America for a year and a half now in college. We focus a lot on culture because it's a huge part of... well, the culture! haha
I don't know much about other countries and their signing systems, but I can probably answer most questions about ASL and provide a scholarly source (I still have all my textbooks).
Feel free to tag me with any specific questions. It matters a LOT what time period the book is set in too. :)
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:04 am
View Likes
Evander says...

I am so incredibly tired, so I apologize if this response rambles a bit.
Also, a lot of this is super anecdotal. And it's incredibly focused on American Sign Language, given that the fact that I'm only familiar with that. Also, this is by no means comprehensive! So I'm also open to questions for clarification (or correction! I am not an expert).

@killeham
A few questions I have are how likely is it that a mute/deaf/non-speaking character would know sign language? Would most families have access to those resources, or is it a sign of wealth, and such?

It depends on the family and the time period, to be honest. If I had turned out non-verbal or severely hard of hearing, then I would have had a wide variety of resources despite being middle-to-lower class. My parents actually taught me ASL as a baby/toddler.

(The resources my parents' had were probably my dad's research into child development and Signing Time with Alex and Leah. Parents now will probably also have access to the internet and videos that teach on YouTube and sites like lifeprint.com)

A family's access to those resources could definitely depend on wealth, but it also depends on their doctor and if they listen to their doctor. According to a few Deaf friends of mine, their audiologists pushed their parents into teaching them English instead of using ASL. Historically, a lot of Deaf and HoH (hard of hearing) children are pushed into using English.

So here are some things I would think about in designing a family for your non-verbal/d/Deaf/HoH character:
1. How likely are the parents to embrace "otherness"? (Having your child communicate in a completely different language than your native one might not be acceptable to some parents.)
2. How likely are they to doubt their doctor? Or to question their doctor? (Then again, this isn't to say that all audiologists push to teach d/Deaf children English instead of ASL, but that it's been what I've experienced through talking with Deaf people.)
3. How much time do the parents have to go about learning and in turn teaching their child a different language?

Alternatively:
1. Is the family d/Deaf?
2. Do they live by a large Deaf community?

I guess, in summary, I don't think that it would be entirely unrealistic to have your nonverbal/d/Deaf/HoH character know ASL, but it would take time developing the family members and to know about the character's life growing up.

In addition, how difficult is it to learn sign language, and whichever form, whether it’s ASL or BSL, or any other form.

I could sort fifteen bajillion sources here, but I found something that could sum it up best.
"How long does it take you to learn a spoken language? If it takes you 15 years to learn French, then it will take you 15 years to learn ASL."
I think a lot of people's problems with learning ASL is that they treat it as a code for English instead of a language outside of English. It may borrow some stuff from English, but it actually borrows a lot from LSF (French Sign Language or langue des signes française)

Basically, learning ASL takes a lot of time and dedication, just like any other language. It might be difficult at times, but no more difficult than Italian or Swedish. Really, you just have to switch your mindset to focusing on hands and facial expression instead of sound and tone.

Also, one more thing! A lot of ASL is communicated through facial expression. Questions are asked with the eyebrows. It's vital. It's like punctuation for English speakers.

I can type without punctuation or stressors but ultimately it gets tiresome to read like really what are you intending to portray without punctuation or in this case without facial expression are like where does something start and where does it end whats a question and whats sarcasm who knows like does this ever actually stop I have no clue

-

Now, onto the beast of actually portraying sign language. Whoo boy.

You can go multiple different routes.

I've seen @Lareine use « » (guillemets) in order to portray that something is being signed, using English.
Back when I wrote my novel, I believe that I once used words encased in italics with "she signed" as the dialogue tag.

«Can you pass me the salt?» She raised her eyebrows and cocked her head to the side.

You can also write out something using the language's actual sentence order.

http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-l ... rammar.htm
Here's a good resource, but--

"BOY THROW BALL," she signed.

Meaning "he threw the ball", of course.

I sometimes employ that, but I've found that it can get a bit grating at times.

-

Ah... describing sign. This can get a bit difficult, but it basically means looking up a bunch of signs and their variations (deciding what variation is best) and then guestimating how much your reader knows about sign language.

The sign for "NAME" in ASL is taking both hands, with fingers in the "u" shape, and hitting them together twice on the sides nearish to the second knuckle.

But wait a minute, does your reader even know what the "u" handshape looks like?

So, then, the sign would become taking both hands with your index and middle finger extended (the rest of the fingers curled) and hitting them nearish to the second knuckle.

But that's a lot to write for just one sign. Imagine doing this for an entire sentence. What about a paragraph? Personally, I describe some of the easier signs (like in @killeham's second linked article, the author quickly and gracefully describes how to sign "DANCE"), and leave the rest to the wind. It's not worth puffing up my word count when it's easier to just write this:

"Do you need help? Davey signed, putting his right fist -- thumb extended -- onto his left hand and gesturing "help" outwards towards the fallen child.

-

Sites I recommend:
lifeprint.com - this is good for looking up signs and reading more about d/Deaf culture.

Youtube channels I recommend:
ASL Stew

Books I recommend:
1,000 Signs of Life

-

Alright, I'm open to any and all questions!
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 pm
Lives4Christ24 says...

I know a little bit of sign language, but when I read books they usually don't say how the person signed, just that they signed it.
Lives4Christ24
Jesus Rocks, So Roll With Him

If you can't find the stories you want to read, write them yourself

Perfection is lots of little things done well.
— Marco Pierre White