z

Young Writers Society

I need to figure out what would happen if...

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:27 am
jster02 says...

...one of my characters got to (high) school late right in the middle of a lockdown. So I'm asking: What would you do? Assume you have already tried your classroom door and knocked. You have no Idea if it's a drill or the real deal. If I could get multiple opinions that would be great. I'm not exactly sure if this is the right forum to put this in, but this is for research purposes so I think it's ok.
What's the point of success if it makes me miserable?

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:09 am
Feltrix says...

If it were me, I'd try to get out of the High School, if possible. Assuming it is, I would conceal myself as best as possible near the school (near because it might just be a drill.) If I couldn't get out at all... Maybe try to hide in a locker? In my school, there is no where to hide in the hall. If possible, I'd hide in the bathroom or janitor's closet. If there's no where to run and no where to hide, I'd just... try to not panic and look nonchalant in case it's just a drill.
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Harbinger of the Cosmic Squid
Brief Castaway
Founder of Hermits United
TIME Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:45 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

If there was a lockdown, would the student even be allowed in the school in the first place? I work in a school, and in my experience there are two levels of lockdowns interior and exterior. If there's an exterior lockdown that means there is a potential threat outside of the school and all exterior doors are locked. Anyone that is outside for recess or gym has to come inside and then nobody in nobody out until the lockdown is over but people can move freely within the school. For an interior lockdown it's the same except every single door in the entire school is locked and no one can go anywhere. So, if this student is arriving late to school and the school is in the middle of a lockdown, how did they get in the school in the first place because I would guess all of the exterior doors are locked?

But to answer your question, if I were stuck not in my classroom during a lockdown, I would either try to take refuge in the main office or the bathroom, whichever I felt I could get to faster/more easily. If I couldn't even get into the school, I would take refuge in my car (assuming I drove myself).
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.
— Neil Gaiman