z

Young Writers Society

Question on Tantōs and Ō-dachis

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:53 pm
StNickKILLyous says...

So, the book that I've been asking so many questions for has a lot of swords in it. These swords are from various different cultures, one of which is ancient Japan.
Anyways, to get to the questions: First off, how did they wear the tantō Is the edge up, where on the body is it worn, etc.
For the second part, how is the ō-dachiworn? I've done a little bit of research, and learned that it was worn on the back, despite it being inefficient due to slow and clumsy draw, or being held in the hand. For the time being, I have a mix of the 2, but does anyone have any input on this?
Last of all, was there any specific etiquette for the ō-dachi? Things like how it was worn in town with kimonos, versus how it was worn on the battlefield with armor? When visiting another's house, was the sword put in the same rack as the katanas were or was there another place to put it, and if so, where?
Anyone who answers any of these questions is greatly appreciated.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed May 03, 2017 8:48 pm
Kale says...

If you haven't checked out this book yet, I highly recommend you do so. It's written by a Kobudo grandmaster, and it's been very nicely translated into English.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/4770028989

I believe it answers most, if not all, of your questions.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

Reviews: 0
Mon May 08, 2017 3:34 pm
StNickKILLyous says...

Thanks, I'll check it out!

A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language.
— W.H. Auden