z

Young Writers Society

Gods in Charge

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:31 am
Mageheart says...

My novel Shattered Souls has a lot to do with mythology (though the main focus is on Ancient Greek mythology). There's a group of gods/goddesses that look over their respective religions, and I'm trying to figure out who exactly would belong there. I know Zeus would be a member of it - and Jupiter, technically, because they're the same person.

Do you know of any other deities that would fit this? Any religion works. And, if you happen to know a lot about the god/goddess in question, can you tell me if they would probably be favorable towards humans based on mythology or what they're the god/goddess of?

Thank you so much in advance!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:01 am
View Likes
regismare says...

How about some of the Norse Gods (I think Thor is the alpha Norse God, but I'm not sure ._.)? Or the Gods of today's major religions (if that can somehow be done without offending most of the human population)? There's always deities from Ancient Egypt, Rome, Mesopotamia, the Indus Valley civilization, and the civilizations of South and Central America like the Aztecs and the Incas. I bet there's even some stuff on old Celtic mythology from Wales, Scotland, and Ireland before the Romans arrived. It was a little vague because I can't really remember the specifics, but I hope it helps anyway^^
Last edited by regismare on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awaiting world war three

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:44 pm
View Likes
Feltrix says...

If you want to pick a god that would be specifically in charge, for Greek you want Zeus, Rome has Jupiter, Norse has Odin, and Egyptian has Ra. I don't know much about any other ancient religions, but if you haven't read the Percy Jackson series (and all of the branches off of it) then you definitely should.
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Harbinger of the Cosmic Squid
Brief Castaway
Founder of Hermits United
TIME Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:39 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Questions about your mechanics:

- Is it based on modern day faith in deities? Ancient faith? Do they exist regardless of belief?

- How will you handle overlapping regions? Technically, if you have the Roman/Greek gods as "rulers" of everything, you'd be erasing every religion their empire took over and replaced with Greek/Roman gods.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:08 pm
Mageheart says...

@Rosendorn: It's mainly based on ancient faith, but modern faith definitely exists.

I just realized that I didn't do a good job of explaining it in my first post. I guess the easiest way to explain it is describing it as a government! I'll start with the individual religions. You could think of those as a regional government, with the most important deity playing the part of the leader. In the case of Greek mythology, we'd be talking about Zeus. Then there's the council. It's like the government of a country. Each leader from the regional government is a member of this council, so Zeus would be one of them.

However, it's far from being a democracy. There's no sort of thing as an election.

Any religion that has ever existed will have a spot on the council, regardless on if they were wiped out.

I hope that makes sense!
mage

queer and here.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:00 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

And general region you want to limit yourself to? Cause this answer could go very very very global (and probably escape from you, worldbuilding wise) or it can be narrower but show a lot of richness within that narrow area (plus more room for fun like ancient rivalries and teasing and general "we've known each other how long"s)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

364 Reviews

Reviews: 364
Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:27 pm
View Likes
zaminami says...

Um look at the spoiler below:

Spoiler! :
In Norse mythology Odin is the main God in Norse mythology, not Thor; Thor's just famous because superhero comics thought that a god of thunder would be cool to put inside of the comics.
tartaglia, they/he lesbian.
i also go by skylar and reginald!
First member of the bio trio™.
victim of the writer’s block disease

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:43 pm
Mageheart says...

@Rosendorn: I didn't have a specific region in mind at the moment, but that might change! So anything goes right now.

Also, thank you to everyone who has contributed so far!
mage

queer and here.

558 Reviews

Reviews: 558
Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:57 am
View Likes
erilea says...

Well...

Greek: Zeus
Roman: Jupiter
Norse: Odin
Egyptian: Ra

I wish I could tell you more, but...

I mean, honestly it'd be cool if you could put some women in the government too.
Was *wisegirl22*Artemis28*Lupa22*

focus on... enjoying happy moments

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:21 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...

To add a few American (central and north) deities to the list,

Aztec: Quetzalcoatl (god of wind and learning)
Inca: Inti (sun god)
Mayan: Itzamn (ruler of the heavens, founder of civilization)
Iroquois: perhaps Iagentci? (goddess who created the earth)
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:43 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

What about Native American Indian religion?

Eagle was the chieftain, but Coyote was the creator of humans in many various tribes' traditions.

Brahma is the creator in Hinduism.

Other than that, I might suggest looking into Celtic mythology, other tribal mythologies (such as African), etc. Those aren't represented enough in stories.

Hope that helps ^_^
Last edited by Featherstone on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:12 pm
Wolfi says...

There are so many different Native American cultures and religions that I only offered one. Creators and chieftains vary across the country.
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:51 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

*looks at comment**realizes I hadn't actually mentioned which tribe I was referring to**facepalms**goes back to edit*
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

The emperor is rich, but he can't buy another day.
— Chinese Proverb