z

Young Writers Society

why would a god adopt a mortal child?

Reviews: 3
Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:37 pm
ewolf20 says...

with Sadly Mythtaken being a thing, I'm not even sure if the idea of a goddess such as The Morrigan adopting a 3 year boy (who lost his parents after a car crash) seems plausible. if anyone don't know, she is known for being the goddess of fate, death, life, and war. yet, she is a god and he's a mere mortal. I'm not even sure that in the modern day, that she would do this. but any who, she ends up adopting him as her son where he grows in her domain. living there for such a long time had since resulted in him becoming one of the fair folk (in this case, the Fhiaigh Sidhe).

this all boils down to motivation, why the phantom queen adopt a child? one would say it was my own interpretation while others claim it's not. even then, there hasn't much recorded of her save for some background info. even then, her viewpoint on children is kind hard to find.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:14 am
PrincessInk says...

My guess is that you'll have to dig deeper into the queen to figure out why. In your story, how is the queen going to play a role? Does her motives (probably) have a part in this? Then how? Try checking out the myths about and around her and try to get to know her better.
always daydreaming, always clumsy

Reviews: 3
Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:06 pm
ewolf20 says...

anyone else?

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:35 pm
Lightsong says...

First of all, I would like to ask: this thing about her adopting a child, is it based on the myth or just your creative outburst?

Because if it's the former, I'm pretty sure there are other sources citing similar thing, and perhaps they can elaborate on the motivation and such.

Even if they can't, and this is more of a creative outburst case, there are many motivations you can do. Like, the Greek mythology. Gods often use heroes to do some of their jobs just to show them their superiority.

Morrigan can have a maternal instinct, wanting a child to call her own, and raising him to be the example of humankind. Or she can exploit him as a spawn in her scheme; perhaps she wants to exact revenge on other gods, and somehow, a mortal is needed in her plan of revenge.

Off-topic, but I'd like to give questions and tips for writing deities in general (I'm writing a novel in which deities are the main characters, actually).

1. Since it's set on a modern setting, you have to determine how much influence she has on the world. You said she's the goddess of fate, death, life and war - well, how does she incorporate all those aspects in the world?

2. What are her limitations? Usually, gods in fiction have limits so that there are things they need to overcome by other means, and that makes for an interesting reading. If they're omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscience, there's really no conflict you can think off.

And that is all! I wish you good luck in your writing endeavour. :D
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:31 pm
Feltrix says...

Adopting a mortal child might just be a god's whim. Morrigan might not need a reason. Maybe I'll adopt this kid could be right next to Maybe I'll curse this kingdom because this random citizen didn't offer me an apple. If this is the case, though, the mortal will have a pretty terrible upbringing.
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Harbinger of the Cosmic Squid
Brief Castaway
Founder of Hermits United
TIME Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

Maybe we're all just complex human beings with skewed perceptions of each other.
— Ventomology