z

Young Writers Society

islam's viewpoints on homosexuality

Reviews: 3
Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:06 am
ewolf20 says...

whelp, I'm in the dark with this one.

so I'm considering doing a webcomic detailing the relationship between 2 boys of different backgrounds. one's a guy who's raised in a conservative catholic while the other was raised by a fey god in the otherworld. in the middle of it all is a Muslim immigrant girl who is trying her best to support this relationship. due to her family's values, however, she can't bring herself to understand it. but, since the topic around Islam's view on homosexuality is a bit complex, I'm not sure how to go about this

this was originally asked in a another threads (several i might add with one of them kicking my question to the curd for some reason). if you see it here while you were lurking, please answer it.

now the problem here is the fears i might appear racist considering Islamphobia being thing apparently. although, like Christianity and Judaism, some have considered homosexuality to be a sin. even then I'm taking a grain of salt with this one.

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:33 pm
Lightsong says...

Islam in general view homosexuality as a sin. This is gathered from the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, in which the Qur'an verse told us to not follow their homosexual actions.

Male-to-male intercourse, liwat, is a sin deserving punishment under Sharia Law. From Quora [source]:

If four separate people witnessed penetrative intercourse, (homosexual or (unmarried) heterosexual), and these witnesses testify to this, then the punishment is death. This is only after the guilty parties have been given every benefit of the doubt. If the witnesses were spying on the accused, or if they are known liars, or mentally unsound, their testimony is not accepted.

If you notice in the article, Islam forbids its followers from discriminating gay people; however, since homosexuality is a sin and people are judgemental in nature, they will treat gay people differently than the rest in a negative way. Punishment from the Sharia Law is only made when there are witnesses for liwat, and if there is none, then it is considered as a matter between them and God. No one is to interfere.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:35 pm
crossroads says...

With this, just like with any other topic that concerns a specific group's views on something, I think it's important to remember that groups are composed of individuals, and even if they're following the same basic philosophy (or religious text), interpretations may vary, and overall characterisation and the characters' circumstances will probably play a role (and vice versa; beliefs and opinions are a giant part of characterisation).

I'm not familiar enough with Islam myself to go into anything more specific, so I'll leave that to Light and others who know more. I wanted to say a word on what you said here, though:

ewolf20 wrote:this was originally asked in a another threads (several i might add with one of them kicking my question to the curd for some reason). if you see it here while you were lurking, please answer it.

I've seen a few of your threads around, and I strongly suggest you to make a single thread in the Writers Corner where you talk about your entire idea (or ideas, plural), since as I understand they're all for the same project (but even if they're not). It's a great way of keeping track of everything in one place, and people can easily refer to what you'd said before and which questions have already been asked and answered, instead of having to look through a bunch of threads. You can also set some tags (three max, though, please) that immediately tell us the genre, or the target audience, or something more about what you need help with, when setting up the thread. I have one myself, for my LMS novel, and it's a fantastic place to put down ideas and thoughts — and if you look through some other threads, you'll see that questions and concerns the authors post also tend to get answered, in case that worried you.

Just a suggestion. Also, if you decide to do that and would like all the previous threads you made to be merged into that new one, shoot me a PM with all the necessary links and I can do that for you.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Reviews: 3
Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:42 pm
ewolf20 says...

ChildOfNowhere wrote:With this, just like with any other topic that concerns a specific group's views on something, I think it's important to remember that groups are composed of individuals, and even if they're following the same basic philosophy (or religious text), interpretations may vary, and overall characterisation and the characters' circumstances will probably play a role (and vice versa; beliefs and opinions are a giant part of characterisation).

I'm not familiar enough with Islam myself to go into anything more specific, so I'll leave that to Light and others who know more. I wanted to say a word on what you said here, though:

ewolf20 wrote:this was originally asked in a another threads (several i might add with one of them kicking my question to the curd for some reason). if you see it here while you were lurking, please answer it.

I've seen a few of your threads around, and I strongly suggest you to make a single thread in the Writers Corner where you talk about your entire idea (or ideas, plural), since as I understand they're all for the same project (but even if they're not). It's a great way of keeping track of everything in one place, and people can easily refer to what you'd said before and which questions have already been asked and answered, instead of having to look through a bunch of threads. You can also set some tags (three max, though, please) that immediately tell us the genre, or the target audience, or something more about what you need help with, when setting up the thread. I have one myself, for my LMS novel, and it's a fantastic place to put down ideas and thoughts — and if you look through some other threads, you'll see that questions and concerns the authors post also tend to get answered, in case that worried you.

Just a suggestion. Also, if you decide to do that and would like all the previous threads you made to be merged into that new one, shoot me a PM with all the necessary links and I can do that for you.

where exactly?

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:59 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Writers Corner. The magical realm just a Knowledge Base and a WRFF forum away from this place ;)
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Too often we crave the extraordinary in life, without even learning how to cherish the ordinary first. Friend, I promise you this: if you can learn to take joy in the simple mundane things in life, the extraordinary will take care of itself, it'll be on its way, hurrying towards you. But if you skip the first part, it'll ever evade you.
— Arcticus