z

Young Writers Society

Chickens

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:00 pm
JuliasSneezer says...

Hey! Umm... I had a couple weird questions about chickens:

First, are there any breeds that can lay multiple eggs a day?

Second, How long can eggs last without refrigeration?

Third, Is there any way that you can... leash a chicken? Or just get it to follow you somehow? (Because for SOME reason, I doubt that you can bond with a chicken like you can with a dog.)

Fourth, any suggestions for good chicken names?
"When in doubt, improvise!"
-Winny the woodpecker

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:44 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

Hello!

To answer your first question, no, not to my knowledge, some breeds lay more eggs a year than others however. It depends on the breed, but there's four 'classifications' for breeds: meat, egg-laying, oriental and dual-purpose. Meat and egg-laying are pretty self-explanatory, oriental is basically a 'show' breed, and dual purpose is typically meat/egg-laying.

For the second question, if an egg is unwashed, it can last up to a month out of the refrigerator. If it's washed, it might (questionably) last a day, but it depends on the weather.

Third question, I believe you can get chicken leashes, but if they are tamed/trained/both, they'll probably just follow you around. My girls will follow us around, and typically prefer to be around me when I'm outside.

Ahh, that fourth answer is kinda hard. I pick themes and go with that (e.g Parmesan and Gruyere, Dusk and Dawn, etc etc). It's like naming any other companion animal (unless your getting them for meat or something)

Hope that answers your questions? Feel free to ask me anything else! Happy to help :D
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:11 pm
JuliasSneezer says...

@Scribbleinks

Thank you so much for answering my questions! I didn't even know that chicken leashes were a thing! XD
"When in doubt, improvise!"
-Winny the woodpecker

*surprised scream* Aaaaah, NaNo!
— spottedpebble