z

Young Writers Society

Sea glass and fire

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:45 pm
Stori says...

Hello. I'm trying to rewrite my story "Ashes", but I have a nagging question. Would sea glass melt in a forest fire? It's still glass, so I'd say yes, but how does it differ from ordinary glass?
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:28 am
Megrim says...

Sea glass is ordinary glass that's been smoothed by the rough and tumble of the ocean. :)

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:32 pm
Stori says...

In other works, I can proceed to mark this thread "solved". Thank you, Megrim!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:46 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

You should also be aware that most forest fires (at surface level) burn at around 800 degrees Celsius // 1500 degrees Fahrenheit. That may sound crazy hot to us, and would be lethal to animals for sure, but the melting point of glass is around or above that level (800 to 1500 C) -- so if your sea-glass is submitted to a forest fire, depending on the types of glass and their melting points, not all of the glass would be moldable, let alone liquefied.

Grass fires (in savanna and plains) burn at even lower temperatures (800 C and below), and coal fires burn close to 2000 C at the very highest, while wood itself only burns at around 600 C depending on the type of wood and environmental conditions.

tl;dr: Different fires burn at different temperatures. Definitely figure out how hot your fire would plausibly be to melt the glass.
stay off the faerie paths

"I feel like if men sent unsolicited dragon pics instead of *other* unsolicited pics they’d get a lot further in life"
— ShadowVyper