Young Writers Society

Falconry & Birds of Prey Q&A

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:23 am
Featherstone says...

Hello all!

I have an avid passion for all things raptor or falconry, so I thought I would open this up for all you curious users out there!

I can answer questions about falconry, including: medieval falconry across the world, training, equipment, species used, vocabulary, etc. or questions about raptors, including: anatomy, species, vocabulary, etc. I can also tell you a bit about other birds, if you are interested. I will also give reference materials.

Seriously, ask me anything. I can't guarantee I will know the answer, but hey- maybe I will learn something!

Can't wait to help out!

-Featherstone
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:54 pm
Tenyo says...

Hey Featherstone!

Assuming that communication isn't an issue (but intelligence and trainability is,) what birds do you think would be most useful for the purposes of war and combat?

Prehistoric/extinct birds included, if you know much about them.

Thanks!
We were born to be amazing.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:17 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Hey, @Tenyo!

Raptors and owls could potentially make good candidates for combat. However, other birds probably aren't going to be much help- they are going to die very quickly on the battlefield. Specific species that I would suggest are the Golden Eagle and Great-horned or Eurasian Eagle Owl. They are very big and could do some damage.

If you are looking at intelligence as opposed to size and combat capability, caracaras (Striated Caracras in particular), corvids (ravens, crows, magpies, jays, jackdaws, and rooks), parrots, or Harris' Hawks are all very smart.

Trainability, as with most animals, usually comes with intelligence. However, don't underestimate the intelligence of birds, even if they aren't in the above list- they are brainy little beasts. And this isn't to say you can't train a bird that isn't exceptionally smart.

However, the only way that I know of birds (raptors/owls in this case) being trained to hunt or attack is falconry, but that harnesses their inborne instinct to pursue quarry, so I don't know if training it to attack people or large animals is possible. If it were, you would probably have to use something big or coopertive; for instance, Golden Eagles for sheer size and force or multiple Harris' Hawks that will work together. I don't know about how you would convince them to do it, though. But it is fantasy (sounds like it, anyways), so you can suspend disbelief.

Also, they could be used for scouting or non-combat reconnaissance. (assuming they could relay information). If they were, corvids would probably be the best choice- they were a common sight on the battlefield (being carrion-eaters) and they are very, very smart. They can also imitate human sounds. After the ALEX Studies, I would say they might even be able to hold conversations, debate, hold opinions, etc.

Hope this helped! If you have any other questions or want clarification, feel free to post it here or PM me.

-Feather

P.S. For more on the ALEX (Avian Language Experiment) Studies (by Irene Pepperberg) you can use Mr. Google (XD) or read Alex and Me by Irene Pepperberg or the Alex Studies by Irene Pepperberg. Bird Brains by Candace Savage is good for corvid intelligence, and I have heard good things about Mind of the Raven by Bernd Heinrich (I think I spelled his name right). My favorite falconry book (for training of raptors and such) is Falconry Art and Practice by Emma Ford. For medieval falconry (if that is where this takes place) the Kings and their Hawks by Robbin. S. Oggins is very good.

he/him/his

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:39 pm
Tenyo says...

I managed to find a copy of Kings and their Hawks in my library. It's so cool!

I think I'm gonna use an adaptation of the Harris' Hawk. Harris' Hawks would be best suited for comradery and strategy, they're pretty fierce when they work together! However I also like their tendency to abandon untrained falconeers. I'll probably keep their general shape and size, but alter the beak and feet to give it the dexterity of a Nuthatch or a Woodpecker.

Thanks for the help =] If you want to see the final design I can upload the sketches when I'm done?
We were born to be amazing.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:47 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

That would be awesome, @Tenyo! I'm glad you found a copy of the Kings and Their Hawks- it is a wonderful book. Harris' Hawks are excellent birds- sometimes they are even flown without telemetry because of their consistency to return to the falconer. If you have any more detailed questions about raptors, feel free to ask- I'd love to help.

Also, if you want dexterity, I would suggest crossing it with something like a Goshawk (it's fantasy, alright?). Accipiters are among the most agile of the birds and Goshawks are known for their ferocity when hunting. Just look at this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... HeYTLpnYRw.

Anyways, good luck with your writing- and I'd love to see the sketches!

Also, you might be interested in my Hawkland Club- it is ALL birds. No kidding. :D clubs/2519

he/him/his

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:01 am
MeatBunCat says...

Can you think of any lesser known birds of prey that might be cool as familiar in a fantasy medieval setting?
Last edited by MeatBunCat on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:23 pm
Featherstone says...

What do you mean 'as failures', @MeatBunCat?

he/him/his

23 Reviews

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:54 pm
MeatBunCat says...

Oops, I meant familiar, sorry.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:56 pm
Featherstone says...

Ah, I see, no problem. I'll get back to you shortly.

he/him/his

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:03 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Here is a nice list of raptors/owls that are not very well known to most people, except in the birding world:

Secretary Bird

Spoiler! :

African Cuckoo-hawk
Spoiler! :

Black Baza
Spoiler! :

Steller's Sea Eagle

Spoiler! :

Philippine Eagle
A personal favorite, and little known even among bird people.
Spoiler! :

Martial Eagle

Spoiler! :

Bateleur

Spoiler! :

Kinabalu Serpent-eagle

Spoiler! :

Gabar Goshawk

Spoiler! :

Black-mantled Goshawk

Spoiler! :

Gray Goshawk
Some say these are the only birds that naturally have pure white plumage (non-albino/leucistic).
Spoiler! :

Eleonora's Falcon

Spoiler! :

Lanner Falcon

Spoiler! :

Saker Falcon
These birds, unlike other falcons, kill near the ground if they can. They often are flown by Arab falconers with peregrines, who kill in the air.

Spoiler! :

Gyrfalcon
Better known but still really awesome. Biggest falcon in the world and closely related to the desert Saker Falcon. These are more northern birds.

Spoiler! :

Oriental Bay Owl

Spoiler! :

If you want more birds, let me know. If you want resources, let me know. If you have questions, let me know- I am happy to help. I can also give you vultures or more owls.

I would also suggest checking out the Eurasian Eagle Owl/Great Horned Owl or Barn Owl despite how well known they are- they are truly extraordinary birds.

Spoiler! :

he/him/his

23 Reviews

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:05 am
MeatBunCat says...

That's way more then I expected. Thank you so much!

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:20 am
Featherstone says...

You're so welcome! I'm happy to help with anything else you need, @MeatBunCat!

he/him/his

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:56 pm
ChieTheWriter says...

Are Harpy Eagles ever used for falconry in the United States? I know they're protected like crazy and live in South America so probably not, unless they're in a zoo or something.

Ur more familiar with the rules&regs nationwide than me.
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:48 pm
Featherstone says...

@ChieRynn: I don't know much, but I do know there is a falconer in Wisconsin (I think) who flies a Harpy Eagle, so it must be possible. In my opinion any captive Harpy Eagle should be used for breeding programs, not falconry, but that is just my input. I'll go and snoop around Google a bit more and get back to you.

he/him/his

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:35 pm
Stori says...

Just curious, but have you read any of Kathryn Lasky's books? Guardians of Ga'Hoole is all owls; Hawksmaid is the author's retelling of Maid Marian's story.

This looks like a really bad episode of Green Acres.
— David Letterman