z

Young Writers Society

What did you do with your chemistry set?

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:39 pm
JadeBunny says...

In the beginning of my story, one of the main characters is using her chemistry set. I don't own one, so I would like to know what you did with it if you have one. Also, the character is 14. Is 14 too old for chemistry sets?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. -Benjamin Franklin

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:58 am
View Likes
Kale says...

Fourteen is definitely not too old for chemistry sets. I got my first set when I was sixteen, and it was only because I saved up for and bought it myself.

My sister, on the other hand, got one when she was ten as part of the new school curriculum. I was so jealous.

Depending on the kind of set you get, it can be geared towards a specific experiment or more general usage. My sister's set was geared towards specific science experiments she was doing throughout the school year.

My set was more general since I already had a decent background in chemistry, and the very first thing I did with it was clean it. Thoroughly. Contamination is very bad when you're doing chemistry experiments, and if your character loves her chemistry, cleaning her chemistry set will be a painstaking labor of love and thoroughness.

After that, the first chemistry-chemistry thing I did with it was make nylon. Because I could.

My mother did not approve. Particularly when it came to disposing of everything.

But anyways. My set was pretty unusual since I bought it to do a fair amount of supplemental experimental work for my classes, and most chemistry sets I see kids with don't include a complete distillation apparatus.

Some of the more typical things are various flasks and beakers, stirrers, boiling chips, a thermometer, gloves, goggles, and the reagents necessary for the intended experiments. Beginner kits will be made mostly of plastic, but the quality ones will be almost all glass because glass is so much easier to clean completely than plastic, plus you don't have to worry about accidentally dissolving your container because you forgot that a particular reagent easily dissolves other organic compounds, of which plastic is one.

I may be speaking from personal experience about that latter point.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:37 pm
JadeBunny says...

Thanks for your help! She accidentally creates a wishing potion with the set, and the contamination part could be the reason. Like she got some wishing powder on her and she just got the set so she doesn't realize you should wash it, and it gets into whatever she's making.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. -Benjamin Franklin

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:58 am
MeatBunCat says...

I never had something like that.

BUT!

I probably would have used it to melt things.

What will live longer, you or your words? Something to think about the next time you abandon a project...
— Omni