z

Young Writers Society

Need help to improve up to published-quality

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:14 pm
Zackymas says...

Hi there so...

Some of you maybe have seen my work, most likely not. Well the thing is that I love writing; I've been doing it for almost 3 years now, and really I must say that I have improved (a lot) but I can't write stories with good enough to be published.

Kay so basically I'm asking for someone to take me under their wing and help me improve to the point I could get one of my stories published? Pretty much :p

I didn't get into writing to make money or anything (I got into it by coincidence, really) but my current situation (and much of future plans, which do involve writing) require me to start racking up a portfolio/name.

I make this thread because I'm aware I can't improve by myself. I had a group of pals I wrote with, but for personal reasons I had to leave it.

PS: I'm aware one doesn't become a published writer from one day to the next. I know if someone where to accept me as their little padawan it'd take months, even years, to improve myself to the point I could stand on my own feet.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:00 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

Loving writing and being ready to accept critiques and guidance by others is a giant and very important first set of steps, so you're off to a good start.

It would be helpful to know what exactly you're asking for help with, though. There's a lot of things a writer needs to take into consideration before and during the route to getting published. Are you looking for someone to polish up ideas with, someone to proofread or help you with editing, someone who knows the publishing industry and can help you build your author's platform, portfolio and so on…? Or someone who'd be all those things?

I'd be glad to help with what I can; I've been very serious about publishing my writing and know a bit or two about how the whole thing works— but I'd need to know more about what you actually need or want before committing to anything. I'm guessing that it's very much so for others as well.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:44 am
View Likes
Megrim says...

A few questions for you.

1. What do you write? I see poems and short stories in your portfolio. Is that what you'd want to publish? Also, what genre?

2. Can you explain more about your "current situation"/future plans and what's changed so that you need a portfolio of published fiction?

3. Do you want to make money/a career out of publishing? Or is it kind of a side hobby it-would-be-nice-if kind of thing?

4. How well do you handle criticism? Be honest with yourself.

5. How much time do you have to write? Every day? How many hours in a typical session?

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:58 am
Lumi says...

The greatest mentors you'll receive in the literary world are the published world and your own critiques. That means continuously read, write, be critiqued, edit, read, write, replenish, and recycle. The process doesn't stop, and the method of becoming "publishing quality" under one person is a myth, I'd say. At least, it should be.

We live in an age of instant transmission of data and mass communication and spread-eagle words and ideas. For you to receive feedback from a single mentor would be discourteous to your cause, though the one thing it would accomplish is getting you in track with their one particular mindset of what your writing should look like.

Read, write, share, accept criticism, edit, share, read, write, accept criticism, edit. Don't stop. Love every moment of it. And even when a publisher says yes, this process shouldn't stop. It sounds like a curse, but truth be told, I love every moment of it and want to dedicate my life to it.

It's the dream, right? :]
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:42 pm
View Likes
Noelle says...

Everything you write has publishing quality. Remember that. The novels you see on the shelves of the library and the shorts stories/poems you read in literary magazines were written by people who love to write, just like you. The difference? Those people went through months, if not years, of submissions and rewrites based on feedback in order to get that one publication.

There's no line that separates publishing material and regular writing. Anything put down on paper can be published. Writing is an art which means if you want to do it for a living everyone around you is your boss. People have different opinions. Some may love your work while others think you have to change it, then once you change it those people will love it, but the ones who loved your previous work might hate it then. It's a constant cycle that you just have to deal with. What you think is publishing quality isn't what someone else thinks is publishing quality. I've sent away a lot of short stories for publication. I thought for sure certain ones would get chosen while others were going to be definite rejections. It turns out the one that got chosen for publication was one that I was sure would be a rejection. You never know. You just have to put yourself out there.

As for how to improve your writing, definitely take the advice of the people who posted before me. I'd tell you all of the same things. I know writing can be frustrating. If there are certain things you would like help improving let us know. Because anything you write has publishing quality. (Did I say that already? :3)
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

32 Reviews

Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:28 pm
Zackymas says...

ChildOfNowhere wrote:Loving writing and being ready to accept critiques and guidance by others is a giant and very important first set of steps, so you're off to a good start.

It would be helpful to know what exactly you're asking for help with, though. There's a lot of things a writer needs to take into consideration before and during the route to getting published. Are you looking for someone to polish up ideas with, someone to proofread or help you with editing, someone who knows the publishing industry and can help you build your author's platform, portfolio and so on…? Or someone who'd be all those things?

I'd be glad to help with what I can; I've been very serious about publishing my writing and know a bit or two about how the whole thing works— but I'd need to know more about what you actually need or want before committing to anything. I'm guessing that it's very much so for others as well.

I think all of the above really XD

Megrim wrote:1. What do you write? I see poems and short stories in your portfolio. Is that what you'd want to publish? Also, what genre?

Mainly short stories. I wrote some poetry a few times but it's not as if it were my favorite to write so to speak. I once tried writing a novella but I couldn't keep on because I just.. I simply couldn't.

I write mainly medieval fantasy, but I sometimes branch out to other fantasies and sci-fi even. I currently have a worldbuilding project and I've been on it for the last few months; it's the only lengthy thing to write I've actually gotten this far without getting simply tired. As I develop this thingy, I expect to branch out to more genres.

2. Can you explain more about your "current situation"/future plans and what's changed so that you need a portfolio of published fiction?[/quote]
Nothing has changed really. Just my mindset ^-^

3. Do you want to make money/a career out of publishing? Or is it kind of a side hobby it-would-be-nice-if kind of thing?[/quote]
Mhm yes and no. I mean, I wouldn't mind making a few bucks, but it's not my end goal... or is it >w>

4. How well do you handle criticism? Be honest with yourself.[/quote]
I like to think I handle it rather well. My thoughts for everything I write are always "this is crap" and "I'm not a good writer," that way I never get all defensive and it's easier to accept the flaws and when some good comment comes it feels 200x better XD

5. How much time do you have to write? Every day? How many hours in a typical session?[/quote]
I usually try to do a story a day, no matter how long it takes me. If I'm not tired by the end of that I try to advance my worldbuilding thingy.

Lumi wrote:The

Is it wrong that all the 'hits' I've read are [to me] incredibly average?

[quote="Noelle"]art[/qupte]
Thanks, that is why I love [and hate] art really XD It's so subjective no one can say something ISN'T art (except sciences), but what is good art also falls there so actually living off of art can be so... hairy (imo)

264 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:33 am
Megrim says...

What do you see for yourself in the future, in a perfect world? Eg publishing shorts to magazines on the side?

32 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:36 am
Zackymas says...

Megrim wrote:What do you see for yourself in the future, in a perfect world? Eg publishing shorts to magazines on the side?

Writing game narrative and designing games XD That's my end goal :3

264 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:05 pm
Megrim says...

Ahh. That's a very different world. I can't help you much with that one. In that case, probably the biggest thing you'll want to work on is elements of a good, strong plot. Twists, foreshadowing, character motivations, arcs, good mysteries, satisfying resolutions, that sort of stuff. Novel-writing might give you a good foundation for that, but honestly, if you're interested in the gaming industry, you should look into people who are involved in that and who do that type of writing. Also, read lots and lots.

32 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:27 pm
Zackymas says...

Megrim wrote:Ahh. That's a very different world. I can't help you much with that one. In that case, probably the biggest thing you'll want to work on is elements of a good, strong plot. Twists, foreshadowing, character motivations, arcs, good mysteries, satisfying resolutions, that sort of stuff. Novel-writing might give you a good foundation for that, but honestly, if you're interested in the gaming industry, you should look into people who are involved in that and who do that type of writing. Also, read lots and lots.

I know it's very different. But I'm aware it's not like I'm gonna end college and land a job, considering where I live, landing said job could take years if I don't begin something on my own first.

So in the meantime, I want to publish stories; literature I love. That'll help making a portfolio and at least allow me to help here doing what I love.

(And I do read, and play, and read some more, and listen podcasts)
Remember, looking up and not forward might make you stumble.

264 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:31 pm
Megrim says...

Short stories or novella/novel length? Are there particular magazines you have your eye on or anything like that?

If you want to publish shorts, might be a good idea to start reading the magazines that publish the genres you're interested in. Maybe pick 3-4 to read regularly and try to keep up with them.

32 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:58 pm
Zackymas says...

Megrim wrote:Short stories or novella/novel length? Are there particular magazines you have your eye on or anything like that?

If you want to publish shorts, might be a good idea to start reading the magazines that publish the genres you're interested in. Maybe pick 3-4 to read regularly and try to keep up with them.

Short story novella though I know I'll write something novel-length one day of these.

Yes I know of the magazines and I've actually submitted to a few of them (all rejected). Well you see, I'd love to read them but I can't because they are only distributed in the US/UK, and I live here in Dominican Republic (for some reason I can't stand literature in Spanish. Oh and there are not literary magazines here). I've actually tried and did get to read one story from of those magazines but it bored me out at the second paragraph :p

264 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:34 pm
Megrim says...

I think a lot have digital publications. You might be able to either read on their website, download, or get email subscriptions? I haven't looked into the short story world myself, but there's definitely some online outlets you could investigate.

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:05 pm
View Likes
Noelle says...

A lot of magazines have an issue or two available on their website so people submitting can read them. Definitely read through the stories even if they bore you. The editors even encourage it. Take note of the topics and lengths of the pieces. A lot of magazines reject because your piece isn't exactly what they're looking for. You have to know ahead before you -- for lack of better term -- embarrass yourself by submitting a piece that would never fit in their magazine.
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

I don't do time.
— Liberty