z

Young Writers Society

How to write long things?

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:30 am
ardentlyThieving says...

So I always have great ideas for longer stories, but I get out a few chapters before getting bored and moving on to my next idea. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, how do you deal with it?
“Thus human beings judge of one another, superficially, casually, throwing contempt on one another, with but little reason, and no charity.” - Emmuska Orczy, 'The Scarlet Pimpernel'

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:42 am
View Likes
Virgil says...

I think the whole problem is that you're letting yourself try and stretch stories out to make longer stories. Instead of doing this, write the idea of a story that you want to write. A beginning, middle, and end. There is no minimum length and there is no maximum length you have to have.

Doing this would be good practice instead of you trying to jump straight into the idea of some sort of novel. It sounds like you need to practice more with this sort of thing.

As for getting bored, when in the story do you start to get bored? Ask yourself that. What part of the story, when the protagonist is just starting the turning point where they have to do something out of their original boundaries? Or is it somewhere else?

If you're getting bored because you're running out of conflict between the characters, then try and specifically outline what each character wants before the story starts.

The reason for me getting bored is probably not the same reason for you getting bored with your story. I suggest focusing on practicing pacing in stories like I said before, trying to first finish something at a smaller length then what you're trying to reach for now.

I hope I helped!

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:19 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

How much planning do you do before you start writing?

Some people get bored because they do too much planning and already know how everything will go, so there's no point writing it out. Others get bored because they didn't plan enough and have no idea where to take the story without it feeling really stupid or forced or just bleh.

Depending on your reasons for getting bored, there's different approaches for how to remedy it and keep writing.

Sometimes though, you've just got to write through it, even if you hate every moment and word that you're writing. In those cases, it really helps to remember that you're writing a first draft, and that while first drafts always suck, you can always revise and rewrite to make it better.

Also, so long as you're getting the story written, there's really no wrong way to write it.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:42 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

So... I'm not really an expert on this. It's a mystical magic that I've yet to figure out, but here's a few things I've picked up over time.

Shorter pieces
Try writing your idea down as a short piece. You still need all the technical skills like plot and character, but you'll also have to learn structural things like pace, plot and character development, dips and climaxes.
This way, you can learn all the skills required to write a longer novel, but in a much faster and more efficient way, since you won't have to worry about descriptions, dialogue, scene structures, e.c.t

Maturity
This is an awkward thing to talk about but I'm going to throw it in anyway. As we get older, larger projects get easier because we learn how to manage time, plan projects, as well as things like learning to pace ourselves and becoming more disciplined in doing things we don't want to do. Most people figure these things out in college or university.
It is really useful to find a mentor to follow round. Volunteer event organizers are useful, whether if it's a charity shop or a knitting club. Ask them lots of questions, mainly how they manage to juggle life, work, and projects, and how they keep their spirits up when everything falls apart.

Write with someone
Humans are social creatures and we function best socially, even the most secluded of us. It's the reason so many people find they can write a whole novel during Nano. Having a blog of sorts that you have to update per week, especially if you follow others doing the same, means that you can get constant encouragement and have people to bounce ideas off.

Lastly
The more projects you finish, the easier it gets to finish them. Self confidence, pacing, forward planning, all the jabber jabber that goes with them. I guess it's somewhat of an upward curve.
We were born to be amazing.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:51 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Seconding what Kyll said about planning! Something that I think goes hand-in-hand with that is telling people about your story. For me, if I write down too much about my story or tell someone too much about it, suddenly it's not interesting anymore because the story has been told! It can be hard not to talk about your story with friends but sometimes it's best to keep as many secrets and options open when you're writing. Also try to remember you don't have to write a whole novel in a day- it can be very discouraging when you think about writing a whole novel- but try instead to say "I'm going to write this scene today" keeping your daily goals manageable.
100% autistic

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:44 pm
View Likes
Noelle says...

It took me a few good years to learn how to finish a long piece of writing. It takes practice and you might end up scrapping a few pieces, but you'll learn quick if you put your mind to it. The reason you're getting bored, and I'm just assuming here, is that you haven't gotten to the fun parts yet. The beginning of a novel can be painfully dull to write. Not much action, just character development and setting the scene. (of course there are those novels that jump right into the middle of the action, but that seems to have become the minority) Some people enjoy writing that and some people don't. I'm not all that fond of it personally, but it has to be done. That third and fourth chapter seem to be the ones that break novels. And I think I know why. That's where the storyline really gets underway. The transition into it can be difficult. We hit a wall and we're not ready to climb over it. But we have to in order to get it done.

Remember that you don't need to write a novel in chronological order. Skip around, write out scenes from chapter 25 even if you're only at chapter 3. If it's in your head, write it. You'll piece it all together later. It's not a technique for everyone though. Some people have to write in chronological order or they will confuse themselves. Whatever style of writer you are see if you can slip this technique in there.

As an example, the latest novel I'm working on started out as a few choice encounters of certain characters and the ending. I have all of that written out and now I'm working backwards. By the time I'm finished writing, those scenes and that ending will probably be completely different. But for now I have something to look forward to, something to write towards. I'm building up to the scenes I have already written out. It keeps me going, gives me a specific goal to work towards. It also helps piece together the entire thing. If you can map out the important, action packed parts you'll have a greater chance pulling it off.

That being said, I agree with everyone else when they say just keep writing. Working on a longer project takes a considerable amount of time and effort. You're going to get bored, you're going to get burned out, and you're going to get frustrated. In the end, you're the one standing between you finishing the project or not. Stick to it, keep pushing through and you'll finish.
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:24 pm
View Likes
Megrim says...

One small comment on this larger topic, relating to getting bored while writing.

I've learned: don't force yourself to write a boring chapter.

Often we feel like we "need" a certain chapter, like you have to show xyz about the character or the culture, or you need to get such and such information hinted in a conversation. If you feel like you're writing the "filler," and it's boring you to tears, stop, throw it out, and find something better to put there.

Example 1: Characters need to get from point A to point B. Stuff happens at point B, but you find yourself rambling along the journey.
Solution: Skip the journey. Cut to point B and get stuff rolling.

Example 2: Need to foreshadow some crap and show two characters interacting. You come up with a conversation that gets the job done. Meh. Too dull to interest you to re-read or even edit it.
Solution: Find tension points. Make up a new conflict. Blow something up. Throw a wrench in the works that gives the scene more purpose, and the stuff that NEEDS to be there can be against this more interesting backdrop.

Example 3: A character just plain isn't interesting enough.
Solution: Think of something unexpected for them, a career or a passion or a hobby that's unusual for their age/gender/circumstances. Give them points of tension or conflict in their history that will interact with the world or the other characters. Give them things to be sad about or afraid of or angry about or worried about.

I ran into this situation recently. I had to rewrite a chapter with a different POV, and during editing had taken a lot of the bulk from it and put it in other places. I still needed a chapter showing the sinister guy being involved with stuff, and talking to the MC. Originally it was just a conversation, though I did try and make it interesting by having them walking around a giant shipyard with loud, busy construction all around them. Still was tiresome and obvious. So when I rewrote it, I had a brief convo, where the important hints were dropped, then was like... man, I need tension or something. So I blew up the shipyard! Then all of a sudden the MC was having a crisis about "is this what my decisions have led to?" even though the reader knows there was a suicide bomber trying to target the sinister guy. The MC doesn't know sinister guy is sinister, so MC is blaming himself, and the whole thing does lots of double duty. Waaaay more exciting chapter, with action, setting, foreshadowing, lots of characterization, and moving the plot too. And it started out as the stupidest, boringest filler chapter you can imagine.

So maybe look for ways you can bring each element into the mix: setting, character, AND plot.

"Everything you can imagine is real."
— Pablo Picasso