z

Young Writers Society

Application for Yearbook Editor

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:01 am
AudreyAce says...

From the list of job opportunities on the front of this page, which roles would best suit your interests?

The job opportunity that would best suit my interests would be one of the editors because I am I leader and stick to my commitments. One reason you should consider me for the editor position is the fact that I am self driven and have leadership experience. During last year’s JV winterguard season, I served as the captain and lead our team to victory. I was in charge helping out my fellow teammates and was expected to be at every practice on time. Not only did I meet my instructor’s expectations, we all had an amazing season. I would also consider myself extremely creative due to my love for literature and art. I have been published four times before including, two poems in the American Library of Poetry’s books and one article and short story. I also have a love for photography because I believe capturing moments from different angles is a great way to introduce people to a new perspective. I want to do this with our yearbook because we want to show who we are as Whisconier not as just regular students going to school. Additionally, I always make sure to include everyone because I value everyone’s opinions and ideas. This will help insure that our yearbook contains everyone’s special touch and since it’s our yearbook I think that’s important. Lastly, I am self driven and will make sure that to do my job. I believe that with my help, we can make this yearbook great.
Audrey :)

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:59 am
View Likes
Desdemona says...

I hope you did not send this in. It would have meant immediate rejection of you did.

This contains a lot of repetition and it sounds like you're begging the committee in charge with the exact words they want to hear. This is absolutely the wrong way to write an application as there is no visible structure in this piece of words. That aside, the grammar errors in this are making my head pound. I wouldn't want a yearbook editor with such abysmal application writing skills on my team but that's just me.

Let me show you what I'd send in.

"The job opportunity that would best suit my interests is that of a yearbook editor as I believe I have all the necessary qualities to make one; self-assurance, creativity, and integrity.

My qualities aside, I've a great love for literature and art, and I've been published 4 times in various journals and books. (insert links) I also am a great fan of photography, which I believe is an excellent way of introducing people to new perspectives.

If I am chosen to edit the yearbook, I promise to stick to my commitments and lead the yearbook team fairly as I did last year's JV team and hopefully achieve a victory with this team as well. I will do my best to include everyone's efforts within the yearbook, which I believe is the most important part of a yearbook and to show who we are as Whisconier, rather than a bunch of students. Finally, I will do all I can to make this yearbook greater than it already is, as this is precisely what the students and faculty of Whisconier deserve."

Do you observe the difference? The clear introduction, body and conclusion? This demonstrates to the committee that your mind is not a wild mess of ideas but an organized mind that can connect A and B to create a C. This is a very important quality for editors and you absolutely have to demonstrate it.

You need to divide your work into paragraphs so the readers are not met by this enormous paragraphs which makes heads hurt. You have to make things easier for the reader, not more difficult.

You also demonstrate a lot of errors in cause-effect relationships.

Example:
" I would also consider myself extremely creative due to my love for literature and art."

A love for literature and are does not make a person creative. Your reasoning is false. Do not confuse your readers.

I will not even get into grammar as my head already hurts from reading this. Just remember your conjunctions, reread the sentences you write and think about whether they make sense or not. Also stop using so many listing words. They are extremely weak ways of writing arguments and make your writing seem weaker than it is even if the reasons you're listing are correct.

When you're listing your accomplishments do not go into details. Remain humble, or at least humble on the surface. For example mention you're published and add links to all those amazing prestigious places you're published at to surprise your readers and also to make them glad you're not one of those overly arrogant people. Make sure they see what you're capable of indirectly.

Dale Carnegie has an amazing rule which I find is an absolute necessity to remember if you're dealing with people; If you want people do do something, you have to make them want to do it. If you wanna be the editor, make these people WANT to hire you. How will you do that? What is the yearbook missing? Is it in your talents to bring to the yearbook what it is missing? Can you add anything other people do not have? You have better answers to these questions than I do. Think about it and rewrite your application completely.

I'm sorry if I was rude, but this had to be said. PM me with questions if you have them

Love,
Mona.
Excuse you, I'm your friggin' queen!

Don't take it too hard when you lose to me, I always win.

Spoiler! :
August 1, 2015 - April 21, 2016: BlackCatXx
April 21, 2016 -- Desdemona

Some call me a legacy, others call me a hero. But I assure you, dear admirers, I am only human.
— Persistence