z

Young Writers Society

Old-timey Mapmaking?

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:35 pm
JuliasSneezer says...

Hey, all! The subject of 1800's mapmaking is kind of vital to my story as of now, and I'm afraid I can't write any further until I get the basic gist. Can anyone lend a hand? :)

-Cups :pirate3:
"When in doubt, improvise!"
-Winny the woodpecker

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:16 pm
Rosendorn says...

The word you're looking for is cartography, specifically nineteenth century cartography, which is considered "modern".

Wikipedia can give you a good starting place for the general overviews of the topic at hand, and you can then look up more specific terms (or ask) based on the information you discover. You can usually get wikipedia articles with a google search.

The basic gist is that maps up until very recently were hand drawn. This means that in order to make a map, you had to explore the area with a bunch of scientific instruments to measure where, exactly, you were, then draw the topography based on how you had walked (if you were going uphill or down, if there were rivers near by, mountains in sight, etc), visuals, and also noting down any important markers for future travel (such as cities or recognizable geological formations).
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

58 Reviews

Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:22 pm
View Likes
JuliasSneezer says...

@Rosendorn, thank you so much for all the instruction, and the helpful articles you posted. In addition, thank you so much for all the other stuff you not only helped me with, but everyone else on here! You're always so helpful, and just an all-around awesome person. :D
-Winny the woodpecker

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:48 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

Also, if you're lucky, your local library may have books on how to survey land specifically for mapmaking.

If you're super lucky, they'll be ones written during the late 1800s to early 1900s.

College and university libraries are also a great place to check out if you have access to them as their practical reference sections are generally quite extensive.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

58 Reviews

Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:55 pm
View Likes
JuliasSneezer says...

@Kyllorac, thank you for that! I'll check my library later on.
-Winny the woodpecker

An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that life's going to launch you into something great, so just focus and keep aiming.
— Unknown