z

Young Writers Society

Looking for info about ADHD

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:07 pm
JuliasSneezer says...

Hey, everyone! I was just wondering if I could have some reliable information about ADHD? I would prefer it from someone who actually has it, but I'll accept help from just about everyone! :D
"When in doubt, improvise!"
-Winny the woodpecker

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:06 am
Rosendorn says...

Blogs are your friends! There are a lot of blogs out there that specialize in ADHD just on tumblr alone. Of course, gain of salt and a warning for language because it's tumblr, but this way you'll get it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

This list is a nicely sourced one, and the blog as a whole is full of things that ADHD people experience. There's also this post about what people want to see in ADHD characters by people with it, and this post has a couple of blogs you can look into. This post has more, as does this one, which is another ADHD based blog.

And I'm glad you're prioritizing ADHD voices over non-ADHD voices. There is a lot of misconception about the disorder out there— and debate on whether or not it is a disorder (this article has a nice breakdown of why it can be a huge asset instead of a problem)— so it's best to get it from people who have it.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

58 Reviews

Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:47 am
JuliasSneezer says...

Rosendorn wrote:Blogs are your friends! There are a lot of blogs out there that specialize in ADHD just on tumblr alone. Of course, gain of salt and a warning for language because it's tumblr, but this way you'll get it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

This list is a nicely sourced one, and the blog as a whole is full of things that ADHD people experience. There's also this post about what people want to see in ADHD characters by people with it, and this post has a couple of blogs you can look into. This post has more, as does this one, which is another ADHD based blog.

And I'm glad you're prioritizing ADHD voices over non-ADHD voices. There is a lot of misconception about the disorder out there— and debate on whether or not it is a disorder (this article has a nice breakdown of why it can be a huge asset instead of a problem)— so it's best to get it from people who have it.

Thank you so much for all this useful information!
-Winny the woodpecker

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:49 am
Zolen says...

I have it, you are free to ask me via chat what ever you wish about ADHD if you want any more perspectives.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

58 Reviews

Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:00 am
JuliasSneezer says...

Zolen wrote:I have it, you are free to ask me via chat what ever you wish about ADHD if you want any more perspectives.

Thank you! Would you mind me PMing you occasionally? I really don't want to screw up my character for those who are ADHD.
-Winny the woodpecker

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:09 am
Zolen says...

PM me whenever you want.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:56 pm
Carlito says...

Hello!

I have a masters in clinical psychology and I've worked with many children (age 10 and under) that have ADHD. While I can't speak on what it's like to have it, I can give more theoretical knowledge or what treatment could look like. I work in a school setting, so I could also give you some information based on my experiences there of what some of the challenges are in a school setting for someone with ADHD. If any of that would be of use to you, feel free to shoot me a PM with what questions you have :D
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

58 Reviews

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:00 pm
JuliasSneezer says...

@Carlito

Thank you so much! :D
-Winny the woodpecker

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:57 pm
Rosendorn says...

Just an addendum, but a lot of kids with ADHD have their symptoms and perceptions change when they're older. Ie- most kids have hyperactive (lots of energy/trouble staying still) or combined type (the former+ difficulty paying attention) ADHD, while most adults have inattentive type (just having trouble paying attention). So depending on the age of your characters, and the type of ADHD your characters have, the experiences might be wildly different.

Also, opinions on whether or not ADHD should be treated depends on both the severity of ADHD and what other coping mechanisms the person in question uses (some require medication, others don't, so it's not an automatic thing).
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything's different?
— C.S. Lewis