z

Young Writers Society

POV Switching

(read below first) Do you like the switching pov/their thoughts back and forth thing?

yeah bruh [comment why?]
100%
nah, man [comment why]
No votes

Total votes : 2

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:16 am
soundofmind says...

Since I can't seem to get off my lazy petunia to do anything, I have a question.

I plan on rewriting "The Adventures of Clanny and James" with @sherlocksonh, probably on my summer break.

For those of you that have read it (and it might be more beneficial for knowing how to answer this question, maybe), you know that it switched the pov between the two main characters, all back-n-forth style.

(So sort of like an rp... it's in 3rd person but you see into both of their heads.)

I've gotten mixed reviews, but most people seem to like it. Yes, I know there's a lot I need fix, but in general... is it ok?

I mean, I think it is. I just want to be sure.

But even if it is ok... do any of you guys like it? I mean, maybe you haven't read it or taken a look at it, and if you haven't, that's fine (you don't have to answer). But if you haaaaveeeeeeeeeee...

//gestures to poll//
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:28 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Hey Soundofmind! Your display picture is fantastic XD

I love novels that switch viewpoints. I don't know whether it's that modern readers enjoy it more because of our culture or that it's a current trend, but split viewpoint novels are becoming more popular. It enables you to see a story from different angles and the ability to do that gives for so much creative leeway. If you're inclined to use multiple perspectives then go for it.

As for Clanny and James, I struggled to see them as two separate viewpoint characters. I think it's mainly because the viewpoints changed so frequently, and with little distinction between them, it didn't really feel like having multiple perspectives of a story. Rather, it was like switching camera angles, so that each one was slightly different but still created the same scene.

The art of using multiple perspectives is one of the key things that literature still holds over other forms of media, so if you really want to use it to its full potential I would suggest diving deeper into your characters way of thinking and switch sparingly.

It's a good start and I do like it (though I am generally bias because I love split-perspectives and think you are awesome for taking it on), and I think if you wanted to develop the idea further then I would say you're doing well on bringing the characters to life, but work more on structure and timing in regards to the switching perspectives.

Hope this helps!
We were born to be amazing.

This is a house of homes, a sacred place, by human passion made divinely sweet.
— Alfred Joyce Kilmer