z

Young Writers Society

Help with Mental/Personality disorders

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sat May 28, 2016 6:29 pm
ofmonstersandmen1234 says...

Please help someone. I need help on research and knowledge. I need to know everything about the disorders. My novel is all about them so I need to know everything about them.
[user][/user]

184 Reviews

Reviews: 184
Sat May 28, 2016 6:35 pm
View Likes
RoyalHighness says...

I would highly recommend Googling them but only if you place a colon and .edu or .org after the search term, so you'll only get scholarly or official articles about each disorder. For example: schizophrenia: .org will yield only results that are from .org sites.
Other than that, I would try to find literature written by psychologists, but also read up on the history of psychopathology, and try to find some landmark studies that will help you understand the discovery and treatment of the disorders.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat May 28, 2016 6:46 pm
Rosendorn says...

Could you be more specific? There are literally hundreds of mental illnesses and personality disorders you could be pulling from.

Even narrowing down categories of disorders (Cluster B personality disorder, eating disorder, anxiety disorder, etc) would be helpful.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sat May 28, 2016 7:39 pm
ofmonstersandmen1234 says...

The personality disorders like Narcissism and, dependent personality disorder. So basically all of the personality disorders....
[user][/user]

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat May 28, 2016 7:54 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

First, no. That is not all personality disorders. Take a look at the side content bar on the wikipedia page for personality disorders and you'll see that there are fifteen in four major categories, not counting particularly rare ones or the catch-all "PDNOS" diagnosis, which stands for Personality Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.

As for information:

Narcissistic Personality Disorder gets blamed for a lot of things in the media and is painted as a highly abusive personality disorder, but that is incorrect. While narcissism can lead to feeling justified in abuse, it is not inherently part of the personality disorder. I have known some absolutely incredibly kind, caring, generous, and overall lovely people who have NPD, and if you focus exclusively on the bad reputation you're going to increase stigma for this personality disorder. A caution to be had.

Dependent personality disorder can also be painted as abusive but it has its own challenges and comes from a variety of sources. From its classification as a Cluster C— anxious— personality disorder, it would come with a high amount of instability and feelings of inadequacy. NPD is classified as a Cluster B personality disorder, meaning it deals with dramatic emotions.

Mostly, what I'm going to do is emphasize you research not just these personality disorders but also personality disorders in general extensively. The fact you have selected two "hot button" personality disorders— one of which is given an extraordinarily bad light in most abuse-recovery literature— means they must be treated with the utmost care so as to respectfully reflect on real life experiences of the disorders instead of the sensationalized (and often fictionalized) accounts in media.

Good luck. I would suggest following RoyalHighness' advice about .edu's and .org's, along with making sure to read the "references" section of wikipedia pages and discovering where to begin your research that way.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:16 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

To add to the resources Rosey and Royal have mentioned, you can also search for sites and communities run by (and for) people who have the disorders you're researching. Scholarly and clinical literature can provide you with either broad generalizations or very specific case studies, but it's not so great at providing details on how it subjectively feels to have a disorder or the coping mechanisms people develop individually.

The thing to remember about a number of mental and personality disorders is that they're not classified as disorders until they begin negatively affecting the person who has them. There are lots of people who display traits of various disorders but do not meet the thresholds for diagnosis, which is something to keep in mind.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood."
— George Orwell, 1984