z

Young Writers Society

What Genre?

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:10 pm
Angrynoodles says...

So I am just going to ramble about the plot to my book and hopefully you can tell the genre that it would be in...

The main character is selected to fight as a proxy for a deity from another world with the promise that if he wins he will be able to have anything he wants. (his brother died and he wants to bring him back to life). Another god-like figure chooses another person to fight for him. The MC and antagonist each have 100 lives and they fight each other every time they encounter one another. Every time they are killed they simply regenerate and come back to life. It starts with the protagonist waking up with only 5 lives left and his opponent has 7.

The story is about the MC trying to balance his high school, life, friends, family, and girlfriend, all the while keeping it a secret that he is murdering and getting murdered by his rival. It takes place in the modern day inside a fictional city.

It contains comedy, action, martial arts, a bit of romance, and slice of life. Would that just be a fantasy novel? Thank you so much

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:17 am
View Likes
WritingWolf says...

It is definitely fantasy. There is probably a sub-genre, but I'm not very familiar with them so I wouldn't be able to tell you which one your story fits in.

In general when someone asks what genre your novel is just saying fantasy is fine. If you figure out the sub-genre that provides them with a bit more info about what kind of book it is, but just saying fantasy works.

P.S. That sounds like a really cool story.
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:36 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Specifically, you're looking at Supernatural or Urban fantasy! Both of those genres deal with magic elements in the real world.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo - and it's worth fighting for.
— Samwise Gamgee