z

Young Writers Society

Do you have a question about babies or pregnancy? Ask!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:33 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

@seeminglymeaningless:

Haha! Do not get your facts from romance novels! ;)

It was more gradual. Like, things felt a bit weirder and weirder until I took a pregnancy test and we thought, "Oh!" Though! For the first one, I had a super emotional outburst because I wanted a tuna melt and we had tuna in the house. So I kind of dissolved in a mass of tears and my husband had to go to the store to get tuna. We joke that we should have known then.

But, for the second one? I was still breastfeeding my first, which was making the pregnancy signs really confusing because I would have super intense PMS. So, there was this one time that I was crying because I couldn't have broccoli and I couldn't get to the store and get broccoli and my life was basically meaningless without broccoli, etc., etc. My husband -- who was laughing so hard he was crying during my emotional outburst (and yes, I was harboring ill thoughts toward him not understanding me and refusing to acknowledge that broccoli was the best) -- thought for sure I was pregnant. NOPE. PMS was super intense that time! :P

So, for the second time? We found out when I didn't have my period for about six weeks. Nothing really remarkable other than the missing period. And, sure enough, I was pregnant!

@bluewaterlily:

Heck, you get to see them thanks to the wonders of Facebook! Aren't they darling? :)

My first sonogram for both kids was at ten weeks, which is pretty early on (toward the end of the first trimester)! We would have been very surprised had they shown twins. So, yeah! There's actually not a lot of fool proof ways to find out if you have twins other than the sonogram, so I would be surprised if they knew about twins (other than a feeling).

Sonograms are a bit weird in that they are 2D imaging. So, you travel through layers of body. So, it's possible that, while traveling through layers during a sonogram, you miss another kid in the womb and then find out in a subsequent sonogram that -- surprise!

STORYTIME! So, @Griffinkeeper and I are twins. The first kids in my family! Anyway, my dad was with my mom for all of her OBGYN appointments -- EXCEPT FOR ONE. That was the sonogram. So, Mom finds out that they're having twins, and Dad's not around. So, when she meets up with him later, he asks her how the appointment went. She tells him to sit -- no, lay down. Oh boy! Was my dad scared for a moment -- and then very, very much surprised!

As far as when an expectant first time mother starts to show? It... depends? It's really variable and it varies from person to person, and there's this whole gray area where you're not sure if people know that you are expecting or think you're just getting really fat. I gave up wearing non-pregnancy pants at 13 weeks this time around... the first time, because I was so excited about wearing pregnancy pants, I bought pregnancy pants around 9 weeks in. People could probably tell I was showing around 20 weeks though. But, I don't know.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:15 am
bluewaterlily says...

Thanks so much for the help, Snoink!
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language.
— W.H. Auden