z

Young Writers Society

Writing a play~

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:56 am
fukase says...

Hello.

I'd written plays (drama on the stage) before and yet, when I'm about to write another, I become confused. I don't think this is a writer's block because this block actually never existed. My question now: How to actually write a play and become one with it? And to know how long and the correct ways of writing play.

I've read many plays and watched them, but I can't be one with what I write now.
I love Koku.
He is damn cute and should be the main character
and not some lazy old man that supposedly genius but a sucker in his own life.
Koku is Koku.
Koku is CUTE.
~ B-The Beginning (A Netflix Anime.)

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:27 pm
View Likes
eldEr says...

Honestly, I think that the biggest factor in developing an emotional attachment to any work of art is simply knowing what the piece means to you. Getting motivated for, excited about, and emotionally involved with your work requires you to have an emotional attachment to the idea. If you can't get excited about what you're sitting down and writing, the first thing I would do is look at how you feel about the idea itself. Fall in love with it. With one of the chatacters. All of them. The setting. The goal or conflict or concepts. And then you Mae yourself go with it.

One of the only real tips I feel qualified to give on the "proper way" to write a script, however, is to remember to leave room for leniency. Actors are artists too, so don't expect every word you put down on the paper to be spoken during the performance.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:11 am
LadySpark says...

Easy information to give and hardest to follow: Just write. It might suck, but it also might not suck as much as the rest. Read other plays, read the biographies of playwrights you admire. Learn what it is about those stories you appreciate and admire. Learn why these plays make you feel these things. Then take everything you've learned, and put your focus on writing the story you want to write. Like elder said, fall in love with your story. Fall in love with your characters, setting-- and then just remember that while your writing may not be what you want it to be now, while it might suck right now, you just gotta remember. someday it's gonna suck a little less.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:25 am
Rosendorn says...

I would imagine specific people for the roles you've cast.

The thing about plays is, you're not 100% in control of how it will be actually performed. Yes your instruction determines 90% of it, but the actors have room to interpret. As a result, it would likely help to imagine a certain person playing the role, somebody you can use as a sort of model for how you think they'd sound.

Scripts aren't something I've personally written, but from the acting I've done, it really helps to have some sort of sense of the character— it can be everything from "play her like [person]" or "she's supposed to be the diva next door." Yes, there is some interpretation to that (diva next door can be everything from outlandish fashion but eloquent to a total airhead), but it helps you narrow the characters down to someone who actually speaks.

We should be able to gather interpretation of who the character is from just dialogue alone, which means you need to have a really strong sense of who you're writing about and how they speak. So put your energy into figuring out how a person interacts with others. These two articles might help.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Tons of cowering! Plus your name in the summer programme. A custom-designed banner. A cabin at Camp Half-Blood. Two shrines. I'll even throw in a Kymopoleia action figure.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus