z

Young Writers Society

Essays

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:15 pm
GDrama97 says...

I am wanting to improve my essay writing for university I have just finished school so I have some time to improve my essay writing. What ways can I improve my essay writing. I find it hard tot think of idea, write topic sentences, structure paragraphs etc. Pretty much everything to do with essays

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:27 pm
View Likes
Karzkin says...

It's tough to give specific advice without seeing what you're currently doing. Maybe submit one of your recent essays for reviews in the 'Articles' section of Literary Works. Also, maybe read some famous essays. Writers like James Baldwin, Susan Sontag, George Orwell, or Albert Camus are good places to start. You might not agree with what they're arguing, but take note of how they argue it. Just like any other skill, practice makes pretty good.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

All Hail the undisputed king of the YWS helicopter game.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:43 am
View Likes
Kale says...

This was posted as a reply to someone else's question, but a lot of the advice applies to yours as well: The black death
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:40 am
View Likes
LadySpark says...

The secret to a good essay, in my opinion, is a good outline. There are about a million different ways to outline an essay, some of which I've placed example images of below.

there are a million resources on the internet as well to help you learn how to write essays. The biggest help I've found, however, is making a solid outline and free-writing the essay, then editing it like crazy until it says what you want to say. free-writing is a litttleeee unorthadox, I'll admit, but that way you get all your thoughts out on paper and then you can condense it and organize it to make sense. If you're like me, where you don't do well coloring inside the lines, that might work for you. If you're more of a by the book person, I suggest finding a outlining format that works for you, whether it be one of the ones I'll showed above, or another one you find on your own.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Thou call'dst me a dog before thou hadst cause. But, since I am a dog, beware my fangs.
— Shylock, The Merchant of Venice