z

Young Writers Society

Time lines and time skips

Reviews: 3
Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:31 pm
dracowave says...

Hey there everyone so i'm writing a story and I've been stuck trying to decide on how i should approach using timelines or using them at all. I have a current time in the story and i would like to switch it from future to past and vice-versa kind of like beyond two souls style but kinda different. But i'm not sure if it's the right move so i could use some advice

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:31 pm
birk says...

So you want to use a nonlinear narrative? That's always interesting!

There's a fine point to it though, and it varies from what medium you're telling a story. Your example, Beyond: Two Souls, despite being a video game, is a fairly cinematic presentation, where it reveals information to you out of order to achieve certain emotions.

Obviously, much of the same goes within writing, yet the presentation differs. You should definitely read up on it if you're unsure about how to move forward.

But, I'm unsure about what exactly you're after. It'll all be a lot easier if you tell us a bit more about your story. ;)
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

Reviews: 3
Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:58 am
dracowave says...

Thanks for the feedback. :D For my story there are several different plot points although the two main points is to assess the reason for existence of gods and humans and later the plot point changes to becoming the new god. For a kinda long synopsis the main character who starts off as a god who ponders the reason for his creation. With his fellow gods He comes up with the idea that as gods their existence is unneeded and they would be better off becoming humans. After several fights and him being on his last legs he uses the last of his strength to give all of the gods and demon gods human lives. In the next part he becomes a human and lives through a horrible and disastrous life and with hatred and anger in his heart he has to defy or accept his destiny to fight for the title of god. As far as plot linearity as an example he starts as a child and wondered if having him become a teenager during one part of the story and then back to a kid in the next.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:46 pm
Kale says...

It sounds like you have a purpose for the switching, which is good. I'm wondering why you are worried about the switching though.

If you're worried about the audience being confused, then I'd advise worrying about that after you have finished the first draft. Execution will really determine how confusing or not the story will be.

If you're doubting the structure because you're not sure if it will work for the story, I'd advise trying out different structures to see which fits best. You don't have to make separate drafts for each structure, and you don't have to write a lot to get a feel for if something will work or not, but trying those different things might help you see other issues with the story aside from helping you find the right structure.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:08 pm
StellaThomas says...

Write the story in the order you think best fits it, then revisit the storyline. The way you're describing it, it sounds like having the two plots being told in tandem would be really interesting! But as you write you might realise you need more nuances in the order. As for confusing your readers, you could always use something like a timestamp at the beginning of each chapter to explain where we are - like if you're jumping from child - teenager - child or whatever. Just a thought! But I think having the two plots run concurrently would be great, and it sounds like you have a good vision for the way you want the plot to play out.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?
— George Wallace