z

Young Writers Society

Roman Empire

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:46 pm
BrumalHunter says...

Before I even start asking any questions, I am only interested in the Roman Empire, not the Roman Republic. Specifically though, I am researching the Principate, which is the first period of the Roman Empire that stretched from 27 BC to 284 AD.

While I am managing on my own, there might be someone on here who is knowledgeable in Roman history and can explain things more easily than the sources I am currently reading. If that "someone" is you, then please, I could use your help understanding the roles of the following:
♠ equites
♠ senators
♠ electors
♠ princeps
♠ governors
♠ quaesters
♠ aediles
♠ praetors
♠ consuls
♠ censors

Essentially, I need to know what each of these ranks meant for the holder of the concerned office in terms of responsibilities and privileges, as well as how they could attain that office in the first place and what they would do after their term has expired. (I am familiar with terms such as Imperium, so feel free to use them in your explanations.)

I'd prefer it if any answers refrained from venturing outside the Principate era, but if a brief background is necessary for the explanation, then I'll happily read it.

Thank you in advance!
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

I am and always will be optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams.
— 11th Doctor