z

Young Writers Society

who bargins and collects souls for Satan?

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:05 am
MichaelaBobbin says...

I know the grim reaper collects the dead, but I want specific information on the deamon or type of daemon or minions that work for Hell that do deals and bargain for people's souls and the mythology surrounding them for a book I'm writing.
M.Bobbin

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:35 am
Kale says...

As I mentioned in your other thread, without knowing which tradition you're drawing from, it's impossible to answer your questions. Each tradition has different demons, and sometimes even completely different systems.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:58 am
Deskro says...

You could use Charon... In the loose sense of the word he "collects" souls by ferrying them over the river Styx, in hell. You have to barter with him with the coins that you would have had placed on your eyes when you were buried. It's probably not what you are after, but at least its a starting point. Literally.

15 Reviews

Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:08 am
MichaelaBobbin says...

Thanks I'm not particularly working from a religion, I just want to gather info and see which catches my eye through myths, legends and tales from the bible
M.Bobbin

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:04 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

You are aware of how many versions of the Bible exist, yes?

"The Bible" is a very broad term that, while it usually refers to the King James version, can apply to everything from the Dead Sea Scrolls to mistranslations (such as a particularly hilarious copy of the Bible that misses a word in the Ten Commandments, so it reads "Thou shalt commit adultery" instead of the commandment to not do that) to what is now basically considered "Christian fanfiction" because it used to be popular but has now been discredited. There is also the Catholic interpretation vs the dozens of Protestant sects that vary from "you're all condemned" to "you're all saved".

There are versions of the Bible where Judas never turned against Christ. Others say He wasn't crucified. There are versions of the Bible where there are whole extra chapters added then deleted, such as ones spread in ancient Germanic peoples that had Jesus tell Peter not to take his place on the cross, because for Germanic peoples the leader wouldn't be captured and the second in command would take his place.

Christianity is a very big religion that has existed for nearly two thousand years. It's had a lot of versions come out, dozens if not hundreds of sects, infighting, discredited doctrine, new doctrine, and conflicting traditions. On top of this there are the interpretations of the exact same words that lead to much different sets of beliefs.

You'll really need to be more specific.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:00 pm
View Likes
DiskElemental says...

However (iirc), the one thing all versions of the Bible do have in common is relatively little about the devil, and even less about hell. The concept of Satan as a tempter and deceiver is biblical, but the concept of the archetypal "sold your soul to satan" type deal has no basis in biblical lore. I believe the concept of deals with the devil in the western canon comes largely from Goethe's Faust, but I could be wrong.

Hell is only described in the loosest terms, generally as a furnace, lake of sulfur, or other burning-y thing. Many of the current (western) ideas about hell comes from morality plays put in medieval Europe, to scare people into being more devout, and from Dante's Inferno. (which, fun fact, is the most famous piece of self-insert fanfiction ever written.)

The modern christian canon also also has very few specifics about demons/devils, in the New Testament, they're more commonly referred to as spirits. If you dig into the Judaic views on the subject, it gets a bit more interesting, but there's still nothing about generalized demonic roles.

So... go nuts. Part of the reason there's so many different depictions of angels, demons, hell, satan, magic, etc. in the western canon is because the Bible gives no specifics, leaving people with a chance to make up their own interpretation.
A man without a plan, or anything else for that matter. (Except a review thread).

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:35 pm
Amnesia says...

The New King James Version of the bible describes hell as a lake of sulfur into which God will cast the unsaved. This will be the second and Final death. The death of your soul.

That's basically what I got from it and from the many lectures at church about it.
I want a Harry Potter reboot with Benedict Cumberbatch as all the characters~~Mem
<3 Formerly Remembrance <3

This page supports the LGBTQ community

15 Reviews

Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:04 pm
View Likes
MichaelaBobbin says...

After 6 years of this still going in the back if my mind. I think I want to go with Judaism mythology.
M.Bobbin

"The rules of capitalization are so unfair to the words in the middle of a sentence."
— John Green, Paper Towns