z

Young Writers Society

Help! confused with Vocabulary building techniques?

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:07 pm
dhyan says...

English is my first language. I've only just become interested in the language and its beauty.

Which type of reading is better for building vocabulary? Reading in the mind or reading out loud? Also what is better for building vocabulary faster, reading fast or slow? And which type of reading is better for comprehension, slow or fast?
Writing to change myself.

That will change the world.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:22 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Which type of reading is better for building vocabulary?

Any and all types of reading.

Reading in the mind or reading out loud?

No difference at all.

Also what is better for building vocabulary faster, reading fast or slow?

Whatever speed you absorb new words. This varies from person to person.

And which type of reading is better for comprehension, slow or fast?

Whatever speed it takes for you to understand it.

--

If you're reading to build vocabulary, all it really takes is having some access to a dictionary (Google or a paper dictionary) beside you as you read a book. When you run into words you don't know, you look them up. But even then, you can build your vocabulary by simply reading large amounts and eventually you'll figure out what the words mean on your own.

Sure it'll have an impact on the speed of reading, especially if you look up words in the dictionary, but that still doesn't lend itself to an answer of "which is better." All types of reading will help your vocabulary so long as you do enough reading.

By "all types" of reading, I legitimately mean all types, including reading the newspaper, magazines, forum posts, scientific articles, fiction (of any genre), nonfiction (of any specialty), poetry, plays... absolutely anything at all that involves even the smallest amount of reading. Even reading cartoon strips, comic books, and manga can improve your vocabulary quite a lot. The important thing is you want to read it.

You might not see vocabulary improvements right away, but these things take time. Just keep reading, keep working at it, and you'll get there. Vocabulary improvements take months if not years.

Stop obsessing over the "best way" to get there, because not only is it different for every single person, but you'll be spending most of your time and energy on efficiency when you should be spending most of your time and energy on actually reading. You won't get the benefits of reading if you spend all your time thinking of the best way to read.

Just read and don't stop. Your vocabulary will improve no matter how you do it.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:50 pm
dhyan says...

Hey, I didn't realize its Rosey Unicorn. Didn't even know if usernames' can change.

Wow! Okay let me slow down. You've said some really helpful things.

Actually i have another problem that lead me to thinking about this. Well, when coming to speaking, i'm not that fluent. Although English is my first language, i haven't spoken it for a while because i am far away from home. And its been 8 years. Now i'm going home. And I've realized that i'm having to look for words. And so, i can't express my feelings. Also, soon, i will be doing much public speaking in English and i think i'm not prepared because of my lose of confidence in the language overall. So basically i need help! In regaining my confidence in English. And improving it in all spheres.

1272 Reviews

Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:12 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

If you're worried about practicing English speaking, that is a totally different beast than English reading. As in, one skill barely influences the other. There is some overlap if you're reading aloud, but even then you're mostly going to be practicing reading aloud instead of public speaking or conversing in English.

Your best resource for re-learning how to speak English will be youtube. Then you can hear English in a wide variety of contexts that will help you get a feel for how English can be spoken.

And, once again, the type of videos you watch don't matter. Everything from video game let's plays to tv shows (cartoons and live action, fiction and non fiction) to great speeches by historical figures will do. The important thing is watching them and getting familiar with English again.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:26 pm
dhyan says...

Yep, thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go! I love this website. People are so helpful and kind. If only the whole world was like this. :) I don't know how to express my gratitude. May God bless you!

1272 Reviews

Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:29 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Also, I just want to add: there's absolutely nothing wrong with prefacing any conversation or public speaking engagement with "I've not been speaking English much for 8 years, bear with me", just to explain any potentially odd syntax or vocabulary lapses. It's not an excuse, and if people know you haven't had much practice lately, they'll likely be pretty forgiving.

These were autumn mornings, the time of year when kings of old went forth to conquest; and I, never stirring from my little corner in Calcutta, would let my mind wander over the whole world.
— Rabindranath Tagore, The Cabuliwallah