z

Young Writers Society

Income Sources

Reviews: 1
Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:47 pm
Wendigo says...

While designing and planning out an urban-fantasy story that I'm writing, I cam up with a question that I can't answer. In the story the main character is left without a home or family that he could readily move in with. Being in a big city like New York, shelter is acquired but he doesn't have a way of getting money to get food or other necessities. His "occupation" does not pay at all, so have you heard of any ways that characters in other stories of this type have gotten money to survive? Thanks!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:31 pm
Vervain says...

Well, for one, he could always do odd jobs. I know that in my small, socially-dead town, there's always someone who needs something done -- I'm sure that in New York or an equivalent city, there would be even more odd jobs available. And a lot of people who need that kind of work done will pay in cash.

It's not usually anything complicated, just things like "can you walk my dog? Do you know electronics? Can you fix my radio? Can you bring my clothes down to the laundromat and wash them?" There are any number of odd jobs in any number of neighborhoods, so there's probably bound to be something he could do.

In addition, if it doesn't get in the way of his current occupation, lifestyle, or other factors such as disabilities, he could take on a part-time job and/or work under-the-counter for a convenience store or the like. If he can't be on their payroll legally, there are places who need employees so badly that they will hire him and keep him off the legal paperwork. Of course, that means there's no insurance and no benefits of any sort, but still.

He could also collect unemployment, if his occupation isn't legally marked or doesn't pay him. That depends on how the state and the city view unemployment compensation, however, so I'd recommend looking that up and seeing if he could reasonably fake it if he had to.
stay off the faerie paths

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:20 am
Rosendorn says...

Artistry and living statues come to mind, as well. Like performing on a streetcorner, if it's legal. This, however, does require a certain amount of skill in either makeup (to get the right look for a living statue) or music/art, which might not be available to him.

There are also certain... less socially acceptable means of acquiring an income, at least society wise, depending on your character's willingness to do them. Usually these activities are illegal and/or highly stigmatized.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:09 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Google 'why did that homeless guy get arrested' =D

Kidding. This sounds like fun! Write the numbers 1 - 15 on a page, sit butt-in-chair and don't move until you come up with 15 ideas. Some of them will be ridiculous, and some of them will be pretty smart. If you find it easy then up it to 20, but don't move until you've finished.
We were born to be amazing.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
— Bill Nye