z

Young Writers Society

Book Writing Issues - What Should I Do?

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:16 pm
TimmyJake says...

So.

Before I ask my question, I'll give you all the particulars. I've been writing a novel for the past four years (well, four years in August), and after several drafts and, gosh, almost five-hundred thousand words, I'm finally on my final draft... I think. The truth is, when I read through the draft during my first stages of editing, the style and story just seem so bland. The plot, I think, is wonderful - deep and with a few amazing plot twists. Fantasy, you know? But I feel as though my writing is going down, down, down with this book, almost like it's been exhausted and I have no more original stylings or thoughts left with this book.

So here's my question: Should I stop writing this book now, pick up another book (such as my LMS II one), and then come back to it after it's all finished? Oooor, should I just finish the editing and get it all behind me?

Anything is wonderful. <3
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:25 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

Well,I found this handy-dandy article that might help and explain scientifically,that's it's proven that when you take breaks it will improve your attention to your novel. Feel free to read it and learn.

I don't know about you,but in this day and age,teenagers are multi-taskers. The question is: Are you up to balancing and writing 2 novels at the same time?How much time can you invest richly in both of them,and still stay on track?(That's the question that I always try to ask myself before I participates in any SB,tournament,contest,or novel-write.) If you want to be active on
#LMS-that's fine but you might consider becoming a rogue, and writing and editing both novels at your own pace and timing.

Four years is a long time to stick with one novel,and I admire that you could actually do that. Getting the final draft done is cool,maybe that could motivate you to publish. Are you posting this novel on YWS? Because I am sure that many people would give you helpful critiques and fresh ideas that would brighten up the (boring) plotline. Plot twist are always fun to read and write,but it all depends on the execution.

I don't know,maybe this problem is stemming that you're a perfectionist? I don't know,and I don't want to assume,but I am honestly,a perfectionist. So sometimes, meeting deadlines like at LMS help you squish that perfectionsim,because you have to write and submit something,even if it's a really rough draft.

I also wanted to mention the danger in taking a break from a novel project: You might totally lose interest and never come back to it.There is a possibility,that you will drop it,because you are going to be a different person next year,next month,etc.

That's my two cents,but ultimately this is all up to you and your decision.Wishing you best of luck in your writing endeavors!

/Pretzel/
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:37 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

To add my two cents: Depending on who you are, it can be really beneficial to take a break from writing, just in the purely mechanical sense.

There are such things called "reading objectively" and "reading subjectively", and they're why it's actually important in many cases to give yourself some time off before you go back to edit, and why you should probably give yourself a break if you feel like it.

If you're reading subjectively, in effect, you're reading what you meant to write. You're reading the scenes as you see them in your head, not as you put them down on paper, and as a result, you see less that needs editing. Even for perfectionists, reading subjectively can cloud your editing vision.

Reading objectively, on the other hand, is reading it with a new set of eyes, like you've never seen it before, and can prove to be very helpful when realizing plot holes and failed descriptions or emotional effects. It can help you see that one paragraph is actually just an eight-line-long sentence, or it can help you see that your protagonist is being a jerk and you're not sure why the audience is supposed to care about their plight—personally, I've found both in my writing after taking a month or so off.

The long and short of it is, it's psychologically helpful to take a break. I'd recommend it, and who knows, maybe when you go back you'll find another cool thing to add in, or a reason to make yourself (and by proxy the audience) care more?
stay off the faerie paths

1007 Reviews

Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:51 pm
TimmyJake says...

Thank you both for your replies. They're so helpful. <3

As for what kind of a reader I am, @Arkhaion, I am definitely the objective reader. I print everything out on paper and pen all the errors I see... and it'll take me a week sometimes to get through editing one chapter. And I think that may be the problem, as well. I'm a bit tired of reading the same words, the same style, the same story, each and every day - so then it reads as boring and bland?

Yes, maybe I need a break. Perhaps I'll take the summer off and then tackle the editing when Fall comes around? From what both of you have told me, it seems like it'd be the wisest thing to do, as well as a lot of fun to not have to think about LOTS for a while. xD And to write something else at night instead of that book for a bit. Man, this is sounding even better.

Yes. A break - then back to it.

... Or were you suggesting that I take a break from writing altogether, Ark?

@Pretzelsing, I am the worst perfectionist ever. xd I type pretty fast, I think, but I'm the slowest writer I know... and re-write everything several times, spend far too long on the tiniest of nitpicks, etc. >< And I'd never quit this novel. Four years into it now, and I'll never quit until books 1-5 are sitting on my desk in print. <3

Thank you for your advice, both of you! So appreciated.
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:10 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

@TimmyJake, I was suggesting a break from the project more than a break from writing. If you feel that you need a break from writing, that might be a good way to go, but if you think you could do better on a different, fresher project, then you can always jump right into the next idea!

Personally, I tend to suffer from burnout from time to time, meaning that I have a physical and psychological block towards doing... Well, any variety of things, but writing is often among them. I simply don't have the energy. In those cases, I take a break from writing—but if I'm not burned out, I'll usually just take a break from the project.

I'd also like to say perhaps it might be best if you set a solid date for returning to the project—that way you know exactly when you'll get back to it, and you can push it back or pull it forward if you like.
stay off the faerie paths

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:43 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

Well, I can understand your perfectionist view. Also I, as a writer, am nothing like that. Did you ever read: "The Rabbit and the Hare?" Well, in that story the moral is:

"Slow and steady wins the race."
and I think that this does apply to you and your novel. How many people can go through so many drafts of their novels and stay steady with one idea for 4 years? Even though you went slow,if you decide to publish/print it, you still won the race over a lot of other writers. I admire that you won't quite or give up, because that's not what a lot of people can say/do!

Just a little tip that I read on one website, that I really do think is a good starting point for you:
Share your works in progress.

Yep, that's right. Share the drafts that have mistakes and typos, just make sure it says DRAFT. Consider this therapy that will help you fight the urge to make everything perfect before anyone sees it.

Maybe this "therapy" will work for you :3

Wish you the best of luck,if you take a break or not! Have fun writing!

/Pretzel/
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

1007 Reviews

Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:10 pm
TimmyJake says...

You two are amazing.

@Arkhaion, I'm going to take a break from LOTS (other novel xd) until the end of summer. So September 21st, it'll be back in action. I'll look at it, and if I still think it looks the way I do now, I won't edit but push on with the other book until I think otherwise. Meanwhile, I'll write the novel for LMS II. This is going to be great fun!

@Pretzelsing, it depends on the novel for me. Affinity always needed readers to continue - it was like the novels life source. LOTS, well, it never needed them. I'd actually say that when I posted the book on YWS, it slowed me down. And that was merely because I'd been writing it then for so long without readers, so their opinions and critique didn't drive me forward as with the other novels. So I think with LOTS, I'll abstain from posting on here anymore? And YES - slow and steady. It works perfect, doesn't it? :3

Thanks, again, both of you. <3
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart.
— Roy T. Bennett