KittiJenny says...

How can I speak to a real writer?

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:26 pm
View Likes
birk says...

Well, you happen to be on one of the largest websites catered to young writers. Unless you're only wanting to talk to authors to question them about why your favorite character died, this is an excellent place to learn as any.

When it comes to accomplished, published authors who might teach you and share their innermost tricks and guidelines with you, that's a lot harder. Unless you go to a class being teached by some unknown, published author, trying to get by, there really isn't many options for any one-on-one teachings.

Read accomplished author's books, and books on writing, go to classes, public speakings, etc. Though, this will all cost you.

So why not start here:

Young Writers Society
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:59 pm
Tenyo says...

I assume by 'real' you mean professional or published?

Check your local book stores. Maybe sign up to their newsletters or something. The major stores, especially if you live in a busy town or city, will probably have guest signings from time to time. You might not know who the author is, but you can pretend to so that you can ask them some questions =] Signings aren't always busy, and if you're lucky you might even be able to have a chat once the place has cleared out.

Online Q&A
I don't know much about these except that they happen, often on social media sites. You could try googling around to see what comes up. It's basically a thing where an author will set aside an hour or two to allow their fanbase to fire questions at them, and they answer where they can.

Local writing groups. If you're young then it's best to find someone who can go with you. Even published authors attend local writing groups- we all need the companionship. You could check out the groups and just ask if anybody has been published before.

Be bold. It probably won't work with the big fish, but you could try sending an email or something to a local YA or Children's author, let them know that you're interested, and see if they want to chat with you. People have a natural desire to pass on their wisdom to the younger generation, and asking about their work is a form of fandom, so you never know who will answer.
We were born to be amazing.

I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.
— Markus Zusak, The Book Thief