z

Young Writers Society

What style of writing would this be classified as?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:58 pm
BethAlex22 says...

So I don't know much about writing at all but I wrote this piece here and I am having a lot of trouble finding out what style or genre it would be classified as, can somebody please tell me??

"And only now has it hit me that you're just another good thing in my life that's gone wrong. Just another reason to keep going that is now a reason to not. Another wrong doing that replays in my mind trapping me between the what if so much that I can't physically see the what could be. I'm stuck in the midst of this ongoing landslide that keeps tumbling down and it seems near impossible to do anything to stop this anymore. Fighting the inevitable is a very tiring procedure, you see."

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:40 pm
Rosendorn says...

It's really near impossible to tell by a paragraph.

All genres have their bent for deep philosophy, and genre classifications are so much broader than the contents of a single paragraph. What matters is their purpose and plot.

Right now this sounds like literary fiction, but that's only if the whole plot sounds like this and explores the themes put forward in this paragraph. You could have somebody in a fantasy world realizing this, or in a romance novel, or whatever. Like I said, genre classifications are way broader than one single revelation.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:52 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Well, 'style' varies on the writer, and not normally the writing, as much. As Rosey has said, it's hard to tell what genre you have going on here, because we have no idea what the plot of this story is. But from what I can tell, this comes across in that paragraph as a realistic fiction- though it really could be anything, the only reason it comes across that way is because there's no mention of double moons ( fantasy ), man-eating kangaroos ( horror.../humour ), or two people madly in love ( need I say romance? )... Actually, your story could be a romance/tragedy from what she was talking about. But actually, it seems more like the person shes talking about has a terminal illness or something. It's really hard to tell.

Other then that, you're writing in first person by using 'I', 'me', 'my', etc. And you're also writing in present tense ( first person and present tense go naturally together, I've found, so that's good ).

If you want to share a piece of your plot that would be helpful in figuring out what genre exactly it is. :-P There's also tuns of sub-genres and fun stuff like that.
100% autistic

Poetry comes alive to me through recitation.
— Natalie Merchant