z

Young Writers Society

International places

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:45 am
Redbox275 says...

So I am writing an action story where characters have to go these different international locations to find clues that will lead them to their friend. I have so far chosen Chandni Chowk Market for a chase scene and Tokyo Tower. On Tokyo Tower they will have to find a clue at the top but will have to go through obstacles in order to get to the top ( I know there are alway tourists but it's a very a extension of disbelief situation).

So my first question is any information about Tokyo Tower that will help make the scene a bit more realistic when going to the top. For example the different levels and layout. I watched videos and read a few articles but they're very tourist focused and doesn't give the information I am searching for.

Next, any suggestions or ideas of other location. I want to do more unique locations. So the Eiffel Tower, Roman Colosseum, Leaning Tower, etc. I want it to be famous enough but not that iconic that elementary children know what it is.

Thanks
-Red
Last edited by Redbox275 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:59 pm
crossroads says...

You might want to make sure you know how to spell things you'd like to write about before writing about them.

This site, this site, this site and [url=www.kusuyama.jp/blog/tokyo-tower-東京タワー/]this site[/url] all have various info about the Tokyo Tower, and I found them all through a quick google search.

This book (linked to a page about Tokyo Tower) might be of interest to you both when it comes to the structure of TT and some other places.

In general, I'd suggest looking at books and pictures, maybe talking to someone who's been there (there are people from that corner of the world here on YWS too), rather than just reading up on facts.

As far as other places go, I'm not sure if that's so everywhere in the world, but here the Eiffel Tower, Roman Colosseum and the Leaning Tower (of Pisa, I assume that's what you meant) are pretty much iconic enough for elementary children to know about them.
It really depends on what kinds of places you want to use. Should they be open for tourists or not, modern buildings or archeological sites, obviously dangerous or not?
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:14 am
Vikingr says...

If you want some more original places that aren't touristy/landmarks you could imagine them maybe going to (sneaking into) some paramilitary facility in a place like Abkhazia or Ossetia. Most people have probably never heard of either, but they are real states, in the eastern Black Sea region bordering/near Russia. Also there's Crimea; dunno the circumstances in your story but those could offer some potentially shady locations for paramilitaries perhaps.
"A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--The Hávamál

“I don't talk things, sir. I talk the meaning of things.”
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451