z

Young Writers Society

Acknowledgements?

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:21 pm
Rook says...

When is it appropriate to include acknowledgements at the end of a novel? Is there even an etiquette for that, or is it just a "I'll acknowledge people if I want" sort of thing?
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:20 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

There is definitely a trend in recent years for long acknowledgements. I seem to find them in every novel I read recently, right at the end of the text, sometimes several pages long.

I dislike them, and think they should be kept short. I don't want to read a blubbering Oscaresque speech after the finale, it spoils the experience.

In practical terms, I imagine if you are published, the author is allowed to request an acknowledgements page, similar to having a dedication. Publishers might have different rules about its length, I suppose.

It's one of those good things you can worry about if you ever get published. For now, concentrate on getting onto your fifth or sixth draft of a novel before you even begin to dream about this kind of thing.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:30 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I don't know, I think if I finished a novel ( just any novel. Anything. ) I would want to acknowledge everyone that helped me out with it ( which no doubt would include a LOT of YWSers... or a few, at least ).

I think it's mostly like a 'I am so happy this actually got done!' thing, and 'now I'mm going to be SUPER greatful'. But that's just my guess.
100% autistic

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:28 pm
Mea says...

Well, I'd say it depends on what kind of help you got from people. For example, if you wrote a fantasy novel that included maps/pictures, then I definitely think you should include a thanks to the person/people who drew them, because it's very obvious what they contributed. For things like editing help, it would depend how much of a help they were. In general, I think you should just put whoever you want on there, as long as you keep it pretty short.

I also think they should be at the beginning of books - after the table of contents but before the main title page. I don't like it at the back of books for the same reason @Firestarter does, but I'm happy to read them at the front of books, and I often do.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:24 pm
View Likes
Rook says...

Haha @Firestarter that's the reason I asked (partially). I too see them more and more: two pages worth of acknowledgements. That's all well and good, but I think that sort of thing is more suited for a blog or something. I was wondering if there was any entitlement that these authors felt that they got to do that, but I guess it's whatever you (and your publisher) want. I do wish they were shorter though. I feel obligated to read them :P

Thanks for answering my question, guys! ^_^
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:55 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

I like my authors to stay as 60's style celebrities; born absolutely dazzling in a magical world of superior beings several worlds away from ours. It's great to hear some interviews and stuff, but I don't really want to know about their private lives or the struggles they had while writing it. The authors fingerprints are supposed to be woven seamlessly into their work, not left in chocolate marks and coffee stains all over the back pages.
We were born to be amazing.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:13 am
Kale says...

I have never seen acknowledgements at the ends of books. I've always encountered them at the front, usually after the table of contents and title page.

I do like having extensive appendices and works cited at the back, though. Then again, I read a lot of fantasy, sci-fi, and non-fiction, which is probably why the acknowledgements are always at the front - there's no room in the back of the book for them.

I don't mind acknowlegements in general. Sometimes I read them. Sometimes I skip over them. I do like the idea of them, because it's a way for an author to thank the people who helped instead of presenting themselves as the sole contributor to a work. Editors are important too, and acknowledging your editor(s) is a nice thing to do, especially considering how overlooked they tend to be.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

I'm a fledgling potato bird that lives in a nest in the rp forums
— Leya