z

Young Writers Society

Air Combat

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:14 pm
Redbox275 says...

I am writing an action scene where characters are battling out in the sky. It's more of a chase/fire and take down situation where the characters are getting to a destination and the enemy is trying to stop them by shooting at them. How do I make the reader feel like they are there? What are some good vocab for this scene? Finally, how do they dodge the fires?

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:56 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Oh wow. Good luck with that O.o

Making the reader feel like they are there, I think that's the same as any scene. Try to make it vivid, use lots of different senses and that kind of stuff.

How do they dodge the fires? However you like. It's your novel and you're the only one who has control over how the mechanics of it work.

As for the vocabulary, head for a thesaurus and find synonyms for these words; lift, fall, fly, dive, dodge, turn, fire, approach, retreat. Also; skilled, clumsy, wild, safe, dangerous. I think that covers the basic movements your characters will be making, so having a collection of synonyms will give you more room to play about with them.

It might also help to have some comparisons that you can use as similes, for example; it flew like a hawk/chicken, it fell like a feather/potato.

Let me know if you post this. It sounds like a really hard scene to write so I'm interested to see if you can pull it off. Good luck!
We were born to be amazing.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:03 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

First off, I'd say you need to research air combat. Maybe even look up videos of air combat to get a feel for what it's actually like. If you're educated on what's going on, you're more likely to be able to translate it into a vivid scene. As for how to write it, write it like you'd write any scene. Don't get too stressed out about what you're doing, because then it'll feel choppy and the reader will /know/ you were nervous. Just write the scene to the best of your abilities, and then rewrite it. And then again. You'll reach a sweet spot where you realize that you're actually writing a really good, well thought out scene.

Basically, research.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:18 am
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

Have you ever played an air combat video game? I recommend buying a joystick for your computer and playing one. It'll give you ideas, trust me.

Go in fear of abstractions.
— Ezra Pound