Young Writers Society

I have writer's block

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:35 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

Heya all of you experts, I am writing this novel of mine and it is really emotional draining. I have really stopped writing it and I can't go back to my keyboard and start writing another chapter. All I do is edit,edit,and edit my story but I can't write the next chapter.
I have even tried writing another story, on a totally different topic, but my creative juices were dry.I can't come up with a good solid paragraph that I like, and I don't know why. My brain is dry and void of ideas.

So my question is, what should you do to get out of writing block? How do you get out of it?
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:51 pm
View Likes
Apricity says...

Heyo Snow, leaving a note here before I sleep. It seems that you've lost some interest and motivation to write your story. It's not abnormal to feel this because as writers, we all go though it.

The key to resolving Writer's Block is actually to identify what exactly it is you're resisting? Most people would say to leave it for a while and come back to it later, but I'm going to have you try confronting it.

What exactly it is about the story that isn't working?

Why is it making it emotionally draining to write? Characters? Plots?

Did you plan? What is it that isn't making it work?

This is emotionally challenging and mentally challenging work, it's not going to be easy but one of the easier ones to get out of Writer's Block is to start asking yourself questions. How, what, when, why and where. When you start to answer these questions, you may find that a lot of these information will end up useless but in there you will also find little pieces which will help break down that wall.

Another way is to actually read something you don't usually read, open up your mind to different things and sources and you may get a new inspiration.

Another problem you seem to have is that, you're fussing over the beginngins paragraphs and tiny little things too much. You're being too much of a perfectionist and because of that, it prevents you from going anywhere. Keep it mind that this perfectionism springs from your mind, and your mind knows how to attack you.

So, ignore it. Who cares if the first paragraph isn't good enough? You don't write a master piece on the first go, no one does, all first drafts are horrible. It is all about getting the story down, you have to take the plunge and that leap of faith. Grind your teeth and continue and ignore that inner editor inside of you.

I hope I've helped in some way, if you've got any other questions, let me know.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:47 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

I need you to take a deep breath. And then another one.

Because you're stressing out, and you think there's no way you'll ever write again.

I'm here to tell you that just ain't true.
For one thing, first drafts always suck. No matter how many times you rewrite that chapter, it's going to suck. Dare to suck. Just write what you've planned. Push through that writer's block. Then, walk away. Don't edit, don't obsess, just walk away. Walk away for an hour, a day, or even a week. Then come back and write some more. Write the entire chapter, and then edit. Obsessing over editing and every little detail being correct is totally going to kill your writing vibe and flow. Sometimes, you have to let the mistakes happen, to get somewhere. It's okay to not have a perfect paragraph. It's okay to just write what comes out of your head, whether it makes sense or not. That's what first drafts are for.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:54 pm
View Likes
Deanie says...

Hey Pretzel!

Because you asked me to reply to this, I will do so. I think you have some pretty sound advice on things you could from the two people above me already, and the only advice I could think to give is to read books based on your subject.

I am not sure what your emotional subject is, but reading more books about it can help you identify what you do like or don't like about how the books deal with it, and maybe pull some of those ideas into your novel. It can be chancy because you might want to copy the books you read, but if you are wary not to do that it might just help you gain some inspiration that could reboot your motivation!

I hope that little piece of advice helps.
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

346 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:58 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

Thank you @LadySpark, I think that I have been obsessing with editing because I want it to be perfect before I publish it on YWS. I will throw that mentality away, and not publish my story until I am done with the final draft. The flow to my story was gone when I started precisely editing. Today I will write whatever pops into my head, what I wanted to.

@Flite
To answer your questions so everyone gets a better feel on it

What exactly it is about the story that isn't working?

I guess what doesn't work, is that this story is hard to write, because I have no first-hand experience of this(oh by the way if you were wondering it childbirth and pregnancy)but @StellaThomas is an OB-GYN and she has helped me with that.

Why is it making it emotionally draining to write? Characters? Plots?

The plot is very emotional, there are so many emotional scenes that the main character has to go through, a lot of death and debt.

Did you plan? What is it that isn't making it work?

I did plan,but I think that I planned too much,I should just go with the flow of my ideas and what I feel most comfortable with.

@Deanie- I will try to incorporate that-but reading books for midwife's isn't exactly my favorite thing to do :)
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

355 Reviews

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:11 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

The great thing about YWS is that even if your piece is perfect, reviewers will find things to nit-pick! 8D
No matter how hard you work, there's always going to be flaws. Alwaysalwaysalwaysalways. Even in a first draft. You have to be brave enough, and believe in your own writing enough to be able to say "Yes I know this sucks, but this is my writing and I'm proud of it". It's your first draft. No one expects you to have all the answers! That's what reviewers are for! To help you find those answers. Don't be afraid of them. Use YWS as a building block to better writing.
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

346 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:18 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

@LadySpark, so you are saying that I should publish my 1st draft? I just thought that I might publish like the 2nd draft,after my editing!What do you think?
~George R. Martin

got yws?

355 Reviews

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:27 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

I'm saying that it's up to you, but don't try to make your first draft perfect just so you can post it on YWS. Let your first draft just be a first draft.
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:51 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Some author with the surname "Penn" (I have no previous experience with either her or her work) can be quoted as saying "the first fifty thousand words (of a novel/novella) is just crap." That may seem rather extreme and harsh, but, as you can deduce from the advice of those sages who have already commented on this topic, the first draft is usually horrible. It's to be expected. However, the trick is to lock that inner editor away until the first draft is complete, otherwise you'll never get anywhere - I speak from experience.

Planning is great - planning is fantastic - but there must be balance. Some people believe that your characters are only truly alive when they do or say something that surprises even you. You cannot write without a general idea of your story's end, so write while keeping that in mind, but don't hesitate to meander; often, a brilliant idea will come to you while you are writing, and that, my friend, is pure creativity. If you refuse to implement that idea because it interferes with your plot, an excellent opportunity for a plot twist or new development goes to waste. Adapt your plot to include the new idea instead - further down the line, you'll be glad you did.

So post your work on here. Sure, you may get reviews that will tempt you to free that editor, but keep him locked up. Thank the reviewers and continue writing. When your first draft is done, then you can free the editor and go over your work again. The reviews you had received will be at their most valuable at that point, even if it is only criticism.

Above all, you should enjoy writing. If writing something isn't fun, well, there is bound to be a reason for it, but there is also bound to be a solution. All you need to do is look for it. Once you do and you deal with the problem, the words will be flowing from your fingertips in no time! :D
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:52 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

Hmm, I will try to give some advice, but frankly this is something I also struggle with.

If you're frustrated with it, if the word just simply will not flow to the page, the first thing I like to do is take a five minute break. I listen to some calming music and maybe have a snack or read a book that cheers me up. Then I tackle it again. If it's still not working, you could try writing the crappiest thing you possibly can, just to laugh at how crap it is. The key is to do something to loosen up and be able to laugh at yourself.

Also, you said something you have problems with is that you don't have a lot of first hand experience. My advice for that would be to find someone that has had some. Even if you don't know anyone who has gone through that sort of thing or aren't comfortable asking them about it, there is sure to be a blog somewhere about someone's reactions to that situation.

Also, just keep writing every day. If you really don't want to write your story one day, go find a random prompt generator and write a fun, wacko story based on that. Whatever you do, just keep writing. ;)
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:56 pm
View Likes
godlypopo says...

I would suggest writing a plan for your next chapter. Make a mind map or a mood board and write down any idea that comes to mind. (even if it is completely unrelated) Write about the characters, what could be revealed, any plot twists that you can add ect... By doing this you are opening up your mind and you will have new ideas that you can use. This works for me but it may not work for you, writers block can vary from person to person.
Our mind is a network of doorways, each one leading to a different room of thoughts and imagined ideas. Every time we read or learn about something new, a new network of doorways is born

Smile

346 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:01 pm
Pretzelstick says...

@AstralHunter- Thanks, I usually get these random ideas and plot twists while writing that are very creative. They just jump out of the blue. I will do as you say, probably publish the first or second draft and then ask for everyone's feedback. I will try extremely hard to keep that inner editor locked away.And by the way, you probably are right about the first 50,000 being crap.Thanks

@Meandbooks-thanks, I have enlisted of help from a YWS friends who is an OB-GYN who knows all about birth(she described it in detail). Thanks for the loosening up of myself, i will really try to laugh at my writing(I have done this before)I promise to write today!Thanks!

@godlypopo-I am now just writing blocks or scenes,not really structured and specific chapters, which is okay because it works for me. I'm just really writing events and scenes. I will of course organize all of that before I publish on here. I have ideas in my head, but I like random ideas that pop into my head, like @AstralHunter. I like to get creative. So your advice, although it was well meant, isn't useful to me because I just write with the flow.
~George R. Martin

got yws?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:05 pm
StellaThomas says...

(Initially just popping in to reiterate that I'm still a med student and not a qualified OB/GYN for those reading this who don't know me but I'm always happy to help with medical plot points!)

First drafts are made to suck. But YWS is here to help you point out the thing that are wrong with it. I think, don't publish anything that you're not proud of. If you don't think it's ready, then it isn't. But publish things that you like, but you know could be improved. That's where we can help you :)
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Reviews: 3
Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:13 pm
View Likes
cupciacia says...

Hey Pretzel,
So most of what I would have said has already been said. But there is one or two things I would say.
First, See that your book as a whole is a beautiful work of art that is unique to your imagination.
Second, I don't know why exactly but your pradicament puts me in mind of a childrems book called The Little Engine That Could. (If you haven't read it I recomend you do) You are like the little engine that could.
It seems like all you're doing is a chugging up hill with a very heavy load, and every inch you climb up the hill you fall back four more.
But if you just think you can, you will. I know it.

(I'm really sorry if this isn't helpful or doesn't make sense. Also yes I know this reply is extremely cheesey. )
*unsuspectingly opens a box that contains a colectiom of Barbie heads* I aways suspected Ken was a serial killer.

207 Reviews

Reviews: 207
Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:31 pm
View Likes
Rin321 says...

I would just pay attention around, to things you novel is about! I think that may help!
Roses are red
Violets are blue
I am a funtastic awesome writer-
what are you?

You are an awesome writer as well-that is what you are

:superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman:

The very worst use of time is to do very well what need not be done at all.
— Benjamin Tregoe