z

Young Writers Society

Review My Titles...?

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:10 am
Holysocks says...

I'm at a point where I'm starting to question my titles. I used to love my titles, and think they were great... but now I just think they seem cheesy and cliché and boring and possibly even confusing to people that aren't living in my head ( so like everyone besides me :P ).

I have been in the title thread ( I don't remember what it's called ), and it's nice to see what people think of when they read your title, but there really isn't much title dissection... So, if you feel like it, It would be really helpful to hear what people think of these titles ( let me know if you want a description of the stories as well ):

Taste the Sorrow- This is a novel I'm currently working on and I made the title more just as temporary... but I can't think of a better one anyway. I'm not sure if I like it; it kind of seems ridiculous, especially when I say it out loud!

Mischief Moon- This was one I had a few years ago, and at the time I loved it... but now I'm starting to think it would come across as a Pony on the Porch kind of title. I'm just curious what people think.

Those are the ones I'm most concerned about. I can't think of any others right now.
100% autistic

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:37 am
Rosendorn says...

Take a look at this game in writing activities. Here is the latest post.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

494 Reviews

Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:00 am
Holysocks says...

Thanks Rosey, buts that's the thread I was talking about! It's a great thread for if you're wondering what people will think your story is about based on the title, but you don't really get any feedback on how to do better, or if it really actually is any good to begin with... or maybe I'm wrong... but that's what I've found.
100% autistic

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:18 am
View Likes
Lefty says...

It's a bit hard to get a feel for the book without descriptions but I think Mischief Moon is pretty good. It's sort of... enchanting. If it was paired with a cool moon picture reflecting off a lake I would probably pick it up, but at the same time it feels a little bit like a spiritual book, like I would find it in the section about psychics and gypsies. :)

As for the first one, it's pretty good but it kind of reminds me of "Taste The Rainbow." Tasts of Sorrow might be a little better.

That's just my thoughts though. Hope that helped!
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:28 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

For me the thing about titles is there isn't really any dissection. At least, not from outside sources.

There's articles like this, which explain to you what type of titles exist, but the thing about titles is they have to fit the whole book. They also have to fit what you feel is most important in the book, what you want to present forward.

Titles are one of the things that require a deep, intimate knowledge of the plot, themes, characters, progress made, central ideas, and basically a bunch of things in the author's mind. The author picks a title to best wrap up the story in a little bow of neatness that just captures the essence of the story while being eye catching.

So the question "how do I make the titles I have better?" is very, very difficult to answer— because we don't know what you're actually going for in the title. We don't know the genre, we don't know the summary, we don't know anything internal.

Titles come from only internal material of the story itself.

Unless an editor puts in an epic amount of work to understand the story, then it's going to be difficult to title a work for you.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

494 Reviews

Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:34 am
Holysocks says...

Thanks @LeftyWriter and @Rosendorn!

That' what I was afraid of, Rosey. Thanks anyways!
100% autistic

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:54 pm
Pretzelstick says...

Heya,pretzelsing here for a reply!

I think that titles, must be creative and reflect kind of the main theme and point of the whole story. Someone once told me: "Write your whole story/book and then give it a title at the end." Why is this good advice in my opinion? It's because sometimes writers themselves don't know exactly what the whole novel is going to be about, and that is okay. You just write what your heart tells you and then worry about the title.

Also another thing that I want to point out was that your title should be intriguing and eye-catching. Think about it, the first thing that a person knows or sees is the title, and that may, well even determine if that person picks up that book or not.

Now you specifically asked for a review of your titles so I will do that right now:

1.Taste the Sorrow-I personally like these words but I think that it would flow and look better if you changed it to: Taste of Sorrow. But this title would really make me want to find out what happened in this story. I would rate this a 5/10 but only because the doesn't flow well.

2.Mischief Moon- Again,for some reason I think that you should change it to Mischief of Moon or maybe Moon of Mischief? I don't know, it's up to you and your decision.But I would prefer the sequence: Moon of Mischief...

So I hope that this reply helped and you have any questions please just PM me.

-pretzelsing
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:27 pm
Tenyo says...

Personally, I wouldn't pick up a book called Taste the Sorrow, because it seems a bit generic. It tells me is that there's something in the book that's sad, which every book has, but sad enough to warrant it being titled for it, and that's not too intriguing. However there is a whole market of people who enjoy tragedies and sad stories, so it depends on who your audience is.

I love Mischief Moon. The moon is stereotypically an indicator of darkness and mystery, and mischief is usually exciting and risky, so those two words together make it sound like a promising book.
We were born to be amazing.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:28 pm
birk says...

Yeah, I really like 'Mischief Moon' as well. It sounds interesting and intriguing.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

494 Reviews

Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:17 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Hm, thanks guys! This is quite helpful. :3
100% autistic

When one is highly alert to language, then nearly everything begs to be a poem.
— James Tate