z

Young Writers Society

"YA Novel Dissection"

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:50 pm
ShakespeareWallah says...

Help me out, guys.
I'm thinking of writing an article where I'll talk about YA novel tropes. Sort of like "Dissecting a YA Novel" kind of thing. I want it to be a fluff write-up so I'm not being serious or anything.

Could you tell me all about the weird/annoying/common/ stuff that shows up in YA novels often.

Anything will help.

Thanks. Thanks.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:12 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

love triangles, young women defined by partners.... I could go on and on. Check out this website for a bunch of ideas. Explore and enjoy.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:30 pm
birk says...

Yes, TvTropes is life.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:42 pm
Lumi says...

Don't forget the manic pixie dream girl.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:10 am
Rosendorn says...

Romantic plot tumour
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

254 Reviews

Reviews: 254
Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:07 am
View Likes
BFG says...

I get tired of the girl being beautiful but somehow not knowing she's beautiful, or becoming beautiful late on, Cinderella or Ugly Duckling style.
“It is one of life's bitterest truths that bedtime so often arrives just when things are really getting interesting.” - Lemony Snicket

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:33 pm
Holysocks says...

Um... SparktoFlame took my usual complaint! XD

But I have more:

Alright so... how about a male character once in awhile, or something? YA novels often feature girls that ( like others have said ) 1. think they're ugly but they're not, 2. are quiet and the school 'ghost', 3. are secretly amazing at something... like, better then the people that get paid to do said thing... etc. 4. the only flaws are that they're vain... and they like 'bad boys' ;)

YA novels also feature guys that are hella hot, and unbelievably creepy... but in a good way... lady, seriously...? And like, no sixteen year old is that cheesy-romantic... right? Apparently they ARE. Last I heard, high-schoolers took their dates to the movies... not that we can't pretend.

The thing that really gets me though, is when the girl hasn't had a shower in days ( she's in some past life thing ), and she finds a tub with hot water, and decides to take a bath... 1. how would you feel well enough that no one would come in ( especially since it's not your bath ), 2. they always seem to feel SO much better after the bath but they don't normally have soap, and if they do... it's just bar soap, which they try to use on their hair ( can't even imagine what a pain that would be to get out )... and darling, I'm like the expert of last-minute, improvised showers/baths and they NEVER feel as good as the real thing. I mean, they feel better than the nothing... but nobody ever notes that.

I also want to mention that the genre YA is greatly underestimated by these novels that people write... the genre does not have to have such ridiculousness, and it shouldn't. Basically the requirements for a YA novel to be a YA novel, is that it's got to have young-ish characters, or whatever. At least, that's what I think. ( I may or may not be back with more once I finish Insurgent. :/
100% autistic

Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern or Western; it is human.
— Malala