z

Young Writers Society

My characters won't listen to me?

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:41 pm
TheCrimsonLady says...

So I'm in the middle of writing a novel.
It started out great- everybody had motivation, the villain was villainous...
And then around the seventh chapter or o, my characters stopped listening to me.
Yes.
They wouldn't do what I wanted them to do- so much that my entire plot changed. My villains became the heroes. My heroes became less likeable.
So I started over because I liked- somewhat- where this was going.
Got to the seventh chapter again- repeat of earlier episode.

The point is, my characters change too much. They do what they want to do, so much so that my plot changes. And I'm not a person who plans out small scenes. I have a beginning and an ending and a few major plot points.

How do I keep them from doing this? It's very annoying.
I recently re-started writing. Again, everything seems great so far... but I've only gotten to chapter 2.

Any ideas on fixing?
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:02 am
View Likes
Kale says...

Why do your characters need to stay the same? Why can't they and the plot change? And why do you keep starting over?

If you can answer those questions, you might be able to figure out how to fix the problem yourself.

Personally, I'd go with it. Stories change as you write them, even if you plan them out meticulously. I, for one, rarely plan out my stories, and yet they work out fine in the end. The most important thing is to get your story written, and completing a first draft is the most crucial step. After that point, you can fix any issues with character inconsistencies and plot holes in the second draft (and beyond, if needed). Revision tends to be much easier than writing from scratch, so getting something to work with is essential.

So I'd advise writing things out and seeing where they go, and if they don't work out that well in the end, you can always change things in later drafts.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:23 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

I agree with Kyllorac, your characters don't have to stay the same in fact for most authors, their characters don't. Is this a first draft you're writing, if so, don't worry about characters changing and plot going off rail and all random places, the first draft is all about getting the idea down. But back to your characters, your characters are people too despite the fact that they come from your mind.

Just because you've set a certain template for them at the start doesn't mean that they will follow it to the end. Let your characters run free, and see where they lead you too. If they create a plot hole, you can patch it up, it doesn't matter. Let them develop, don't restrict your characters too much. However, if they're derailing too much from the main plot, this is how I fix them. I don't know about you, but this is how I do it.

You say you plan the beginning, the ending and the main points along the way which is a pretty good outline. So instead of making your characters stick to their profile, try to drive them towards those main points. If somewhere in the middle, they change that's fine just create another path to lead to those main points. Once you reach those points, the story will continue.

If it's repeating at the same chapter or time, then there probably is something with your plot that your characters don't quite agree with. I don't see it as a bad thing to let your characters write the story, is only a first draft. I can't tell you how many times I've started with one idea and ended up with the idea, characters come and go, they change. A minor character can suddenly become an important character, the villain might not be so villainous after all. It doesn't matter, you hear?

Writing, until you reach your third draft is about the journey. Is all about the process of doing it, getting your ideas down, seeing where the characters lead you, is seeing where your imagination can take you. I wouldn't stress so much about characters deviating from their original path, or the plot really. Even those main points can change.

Be brave and let them run free, last of all, good luck in your writing!
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:47 am
Pompadour says...

A truth about writing: characters rarely (if not never) listen to you. I've learnt that it's easier to let the stubborn beasts get about their business. Writers are very vulnerable beings, you know, and highly susceptible to death threats from fictional friends. So relax. Let the story write itself. It doesn't sound to me as if you're in /that/ much of a muddle, honestly. Characters are shadow-representations of people; it's actually brilliant if they're developing, because people are always changing. Villains don't always have to be villainous, and the good guys don't always have to be good. Their actions depend on the motives you present them with. I know I'd prefer reading a novel with three-dimensional characters--rather than one containing flat-iron characters who let themselves get run over by the plot.

If you're worried about inconsistencies during the writing process, try getting to know your characters a little better. Characters are all about cause and effect; different things influence people in different ways. Look through what you've written so far and then ask yourself, "what influenced my character to react in this way?" "Has this incident/event brought about a significant change in their goal/s?" "Do they still want the same thing as before?" It's okay if your characters aren't clear-cut, either. Just let their actions guide you. I'd also suggest befriending your characters. After all, you, the writer, know them better than anyone else!

And like Flite and Kyll said, complete that first draft. ;)
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:40 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Here's a tip if you want your plot to not drastically change: make your plot driven by the characters.

Forget about what you want. Forget about what you feel has to happen. Your characters are coming to life, and that's a good thing. Talk to them. Figure out what their motive is, what their goals are, what they want out of the story. Let them talk to you. Don't try to dictate them. Let them dictate you.

And finish a draft because if you don't your characters are a lot more fluid. Trust me on that. I went well into the double digit drafts before I finished one, and finishing gave my writing a massive quality jump. Once you've taken them through everything they can go through in the plot and they've basically directed themselves over the course of the novel, you'll get a much, much better sense of what they want. Then, the story will get better when you write it next time because you'll find out where the characters want to go.

Let your characters figure themselves out and you'll have a much better story in the end.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:24 am
Lefty says...

I know how you feel. I've had some trouble with that in my novel. Like you're riding a horse and it starts going down a different path and you keep having to yank the reins back onto the path you want but it keeps wanting to refuse. But, sometimes you just have to see where it goes. If the story starts going a certain way, there may be a reason for it. Maybe that's the story you're meant to tell. So, go with it. See what happens. You never know where your story might lead. And if in the end you don't like it or hit a dead end, maybe you can try to fix it later. Have a nice day!

-Lefty
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

Reviews: 0
Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:07 am
mfoley says...

If it happens once, that could be a fluke. But if it happens twice, maybe you should start listening. Many successful writers believe they have no control over their characters and the plot that surrounds them. Stephen King swears he never planned to kill the kid in Cujo, it just happened. I would try seeing where the transformation takes you. Follow the white rabbit, Alice!
-- Michael F.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:07 am
Aet Lindling says...

Sounds like a boon to me! Unless your plot's really important to you I'd use it as a chance to develop a naturally progressing plot.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
— Jules de Gaultier