z

Young Writers Society

Reading motivation needed

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:38 am
dhyan says...

Hi, i know this is probably the wrong place to write this but, i need help! I really want to get into reading, but for some reason i just can't get about doing it. I do get hours of time to read. But don't get about doing it.

So, can you give me some motivation. Along side , can you talk about how you benefited from reading. And how it has changed you, Character wise?
Writing to change myself.

That will change the world.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:17 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Do you have any genres that you're really interested in? Sometimes, it just takes finding something that interests you to unlock a passion for reading. My sister, for example, when she was a kid, hated reading. Then we discovered a series called "Hank the Cow Dog" which my sister loved. That unlocked her passion. Now, she adores classic adventure stories, and stories about animals. Explore all the stories and novels that there are available to you. Try even some unorthodox things, like fanfiction of your favorite tv shows, magna or anything else you can think of. Even audio books! You'll find your niche.

I've always read. There was never a time when I did not read, so I can really recount how much reading has helped me. It's definitely shaped me and taught me a lot, and there have been a lot of literary characters have influenced me, whether subconsciously or consciously. I hope reading continues to change me every single time I pick up a new piece of literature.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Random avatar

Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:19 am
dhyan says...

Well, i like stories that teach moral values, but i merely find them. I think that's why i read a few pages of a book and put it aside, because i don't get what i need. Can you recommend novels that teach moral values of some sort, or inspiring stories of successful people?

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:16 pm
LadySpark says...

It's very easy to find book like what you're asking for. Just go into a book store, or even on the amazon site and look up motivational or inspirational novels/nonfiction stories. :P I'm sure you have the ability to find books you'd like far better than I would, since I don't really read that type of story.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:26 pm
View Likes
birk says...

I didn't really get into reading before late in my teens. And it was pretty much just this one book which I devoured and sparked my love for reading.

Since then, I've learned to gauge which books I'm most likely going to love and get through fast, and which ones I'm not. I think you will after a while too.

Just do some research on which books you're really interested in and then ask your local library to order it for you.

And yes, reading has shaped me a lot.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:04 pm
ThereseCricket says...

When I was younger I didn't read at all! In fact I hated doing it, and thought it was a waste of time. But then when I was around 12 or 13, I was handed a action book that I was finished with in about a day. After that I've always read, whenever I get the spare time. I think it was mainly the experience of reading something that I could relate to and love that made me enjoy it so much.

So I think you should just figure out which type of books you like and then read those to develop the habit of reading. After I had developed a habit for reading I was able to branch out into different genres, so maybe that would work for you as well. :D

Hope that helped a little. ^ ^
In Truth Unity,
In Doubt Liberty,
In all things Charity.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:56 pm
BlueLitMoon says...

I agree with all of the other comments that have been posted. You have to find that one book, where it inspires something deep inside of you. It might take some time to find it but do not rush it. There is a book called The Boy In The Striped Pajamas. This book found me, and i found it. Sometimes it is good to cry, to let all of your emotion out.

This is the only book i have ever cried too. But i think that's what made it special is because i knew that it had that affect on me.I know that it was special. If a book has such a strong impact enough to make you shed those tears, it's worth your time. i hope you find that book one day.
“...Despite the mayhem that followed, Bruno found that he was still holding Shmuel's hand in his own and nothing in the world would have persuaded him to let go.”

― John Boyne, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:07 pm
View Likes
havannah says...

well i hope this motivates

I guess failure is what we all fear and failing is what none of us want to do but, what we need to understand is failure will happen to us whether we accept it or not.

All of us go through bumps on the road to success but you know what makes you different from the next person is how you deal with failure.You and I have different ways of facing disappointment , some of us will cry and crumble into a thousand pieces, some of us will get back up and know that life has something bigger and more prestigious for us and the most beautiful thing is a person that can fly with a broken wing.

I have lived a life where failure has been my greatest enemy and every time i take a step to success i feel like i am taking two more back and its kind of painful when you put all your all into something and get nothing!. The first thought that comes to mind is “hey! why don’t i give it up?” but there is a tiny part of me that shouts and yells ” Do not dear give up!” and that mouse like voice reminds me of who i really am and who i want to be, its what gets me up after a bump and dusts me off and tells me that at some point in my journey i will be someone. But sometimes it gets so hard to be optimistic when all that you do ends up to be another disappointment. I am a strong believer in success i have this rare mentality that once life serves you heartache its trying to prepare you for something more outrageous and unknown.

Trust me there is a mystery in life not knowing where your insignificant thoughts will lead you,where your self appraisal will take you.As much as you feel like all your hard work is going down a drain just believe that one day all that sweat and nights of restless sleep will not only lead you to success but get you something more influential and extraordinary.

Although, sometimes i doubt myself . But i know one thing that if i give up who will believe in me? what you need to know is that you can be your best friend or your greatest enemy and at times like this when you feel like the world is closing in on you that is when you need to be your only friend because without her you will be what every one else expects you to be a NOTHING!. Believe in your future because you are your futures spotlight if you refuse to shine that light you will be failing on your endless journey, believe in the impossible when every one believes in the possible, get back up and be stronger, more courageous, with greater drive. And i am here to assure you that life will do the same for you. look into the person in the mirror and be proud of her because she is your biggest achiever yet.

Deal with failure in a positive manner because to me its the most kept secret of all. Failure is not a horrible thing its an amazing leader to a better you! keep that in mind when this world drags you down!

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:17 pm
kingofeli says...

dhyan wrote:Well, i like stories that teach moral values, but i merely find them. I think that's why i read a few pages of a book and put it aside, because i don't get what i need. Can you recommend novels that teach moral values of some sort, or inspiring stories of successful people?

Barack Obama wrote a book about himself, as have many successful people. If you look them up and search "autobiography" or "biography", you should find it.
Feel free to just randomly message me, I get bored easily.

I'm a black, non-binary transgender boy, who is a Christian witch (tentative for now). I'm also a panromantic asexual. I sell poetry; contact me if you're interested in buying poems from me.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:26 pm
Firepower13 says...

I'm a huge reader. I've been reading since... well, my mom read me stories ever since I was born and I picked up reading since then. So I'm always kind of surprised when someone flat-out dislikes reading.

My advice is to find a new series and try something new. Like, maybe check out Artemis Fowl or Percy Jackson. I think you might surprise yourself.
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Don't you have other things to do? Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:31 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

You seem to be working on the assumption that the majority of books don't teach morals and values.

Let's go through a short list from my bookshelf:

River Secrets tells us that even if you think you're useless, you can have extremely valuable skills that save the day.

Song of the Lioness quartet tells us that if you are true to yourself and work your butt off, you can become the best in the world at what you want to do.

I Am Apache tells us that you should fight for what you believe in, no matter what that is.

Circle of Magic quartet tells us that sometimes friends come from the most unlikely places and can be a better family than your blood.

Harry Potter tells us a giant list of things to the point they have actually studied how it makes you a better person to read it.

I could go on, but I think that makes a point.

The thing about all those stories is: they don't tell us those morals. They show us those morals. They do not set out to be a story about morals. They're a story first, a teaching tool second. People can read them and appreciate the characters, plot, worldbuilding, everything about the story itself. Then you look at them and realize certain moralities and attitudes about the world are built in, and the story teaches you about those morals by showing which events and characters are considered "good" and which ones are considered "bad", with a lot of shades where good characters still say bad things and bad characters still say good things and they're all human and you realize morality isn't so black and white, and they aren't so easy to teach.

Books always come from the morality of their authors, and they reflect what the author believes is good, right, just, and appropriate. Media does not exist in a vacuum, and every piece of media teaches and reinforces morals. A story devoid of teaching morals does not exist. It simply does not. It might not be obvious, it might not be a tale to teach morals like Victorian improvement literature, but it does teach morals.

And the fact it's not obvious morals are being taught is an extremely good thing.

Novels are stories first. That's why people read novels: they want a story. They want to get lost in a world of characters and adventure and a plot that sweeps them away. That is what makes them so effective at teaching morals. People don't realize they're getting morals when they read, but they are learning them. They are looking at what their heroes do and how their heroes treat others and are learning that is how heroes behave. That is how good people behave. They, in turn, start behaving this way, and you're not quite sure if media reflects the morals of society or shapes the morals of society.

So if you're putting down novel after novel because they "don't" teach morals, I'd strongly reconsider. They do teach morals. They're just hidden. Morals are best hidden.

Learn to find them.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:39 pm
View Likes
dhyan says...

ThAnk you for helping everyone. I've started reading a book and have nearly completed it. I think if i find a couple of books of this kind, i'll probably become obsessed with reading. So thanks indeed.

Rosey, you've actually given me a good perspective to look with. I've never quite considered learning in this way. So thanks. And i'll probably read one of the books you've listed.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:01 pm
Rosendorn says...

My list is purposely short; it doesn't include the hundreds of other books I've read, all of which teach morals along similar lines simply because I'd have spent hours just to prove my point when only a few examples would work. Don't limit yourself to what's recommended for morals especially when that list is purposely picked at random to show how books of multiple genres and multiple styles have morals in them.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:18 am
mfoley says...

You can't make yourself enjoy reading, any more than you can make yourself enjoy opera. That being said, perhaps you just haven't found the right type of book to satisfy you.
-- Michael F.

Who, being loved, is poor?
— Oscar Wilde